polyporus squamosus - Dryad's saddle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Photo0068_zps87b87763.jpg
[/URL]

Saw this big fat bracket fungus in a nearby orchard the other day, I believe its polyporus squamosus and edible! Correct me if I'm wrong though. ;)

Will this kill the apple tree it had grown on? Clearly the spores got into the tree via the branch that had been removed. I'd like to assist by removing the shroom and keeping the tree alive, any advice on doing this successfully??

Sorry about the naff pictures they're done with my phone as I have no means to extract t from my car!era ATM.

Cheers

Aug 27, 2012
UK
Removing fungal fruiting bodies is not a cure for the decay they cause as this is purely the reproductive element of the organism. The greater part of the fungi lives within the wood of the tree and will continue to decay the tree until the food source is exhausted. At this time abundant fruit bodies will likely become evident as the organism tried to jump ship.

There is no "cure" the for this fungi, it is parasitic and attacks live wood so it is likely it will be the end of the Apple either through senescence or structural failure.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
That's a real shame..

Will removing the fuited fungi help prevent it from getting to the other trees? There are apparently over one hundred species of apple ttthere and I'd hate for the future of potential rare apple trees to be in jepordy!

Aug 27, 2012
UK
It may be worth it but by looking at the size of it trillions of spores are likely to have been released already. Generally in rural areas spores from fungi omnipresent. Better fruit tree management and pruning techniques can be preventative possibly by felling trees with infections such as this and burning the timber. Leaving the timber stacked may allow further fruit bodies to form.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Have you eaten one before? Not one I've tried.

I hadn't noticed the comment about it being on an apple tree in an orchard. I would see about felling it and taking the timber - could have some interesting spalting going on?

I have eaten one, and they are not bad, if nothing special, but they get tougher and can be bitter when larger.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'll contact the orchard management (its public) and offer advice/assistance. The orchard is part of an old hospital ground, now open to the public after years of being hidden behind bars.G
Go
Way to get into the job too!

Thanks for the advice as well guys.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE