Grafting Apple Trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Time for an update.

Didn't get 100% success, but am very pleased with what we achieved.

Grafted Tree at Six Months by British Red, on Flickr

Here is the graft with the whip removed

You can just make out the tongues in the grafting scar, but its bonded really well

The graft by British Red, on Flickr

I'll grow this tree on for another year as a maiden (straight stick) then pinch out the top when it makes the height I want to get it form a classic wine glass shape of a standard fruit tree.

We are also producing our own rootstocks now so can produce new grafted trees entirely from our own material. Happy to do a post on how to make many rootstocks from onw if anyone is interested? Its a bit obscure I know.

DanielCoffey

Jul 5, 2015
Edinburgh, UK
It might be a nice idea to add the top post and final result of this to your blog, BR. It is excellent info.

Another fruit tree related post that you might consider is pruning advice on trees such as apple since you are looking after quite a few now. I had a small Red Windsor and a Meech's Prolific Quince that I mis-pruned badly. Since I hope to be moving house in the next year I decided to uproot them with the intention of starting again in the new place in a year or so. I correctly adjusted the length of the branches each winter but not the actual number and as a result after a few years the trees flowered beautifully but stopped setting fruit. I could have done with advice on how to manage them.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good idea Daniel, I will do just that in a few days time. I will photograph the pruning process when I do it in Winter. Thanks for the input, its always great when people suggest what they would like to see.

DanielCoffey

Jul 5, 2015
Edinburgh, UK
This suggestion might be more for BB than you, but have you considered adding German Chamomile to your Herbals? You already have the dehydrator of course. I know Roman Chamomile is the ground cover plant and German is the tall, leggy one with the supposedly better taste.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We have a little but she is currently fixed on liquorice and peppermint teas. Peppermint is easy, but I can't locate a source of liquorice plants or seeds :(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For those geeky enough to not only graft their own trees but also grow their own root stocks, I've done a blog post on producing root stocks for apple trees. Its quite fun in a weird way - sort of micro coppicing!

http://www.englishcountrylife.com/4/post/2015/09/growing-your-own-root-stocks-grafting-part-2.html

In effect cutting back crab apples to ground level than staking down resultant branches

Layered MM106 stool by British Red, on Flickr

This gives new, rooted plants that can be severed and used as root stocks

Lifted rootstock by British Red, on Flickr

Its somewhere between copping hazel and layering gooseberries, but necessary for a truly self sufficient tree programme :)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I can't remember the exact germination rates as it was a few years ago since we tried them. We found Wallis seeds very reliable though and we still have some liquorice plants growing so the plants seem fairly hardy.

Albert T

Jul 6, 2022
London
Good evening.
Hopefully a simple question.
My neighbour refuses to let me or anyone else prune her apple tree:
"I hate to see nature destroyed"
There's nothing I can do to convince her, so I've decided to take some grafts from it to prove a point and give her another tree.
I've tried for the last couple of years with whip and tounge and have a wonderfull track record of failure; but I know I will get there.
I've since found out that I get a second chance in the Summer for bud/T grafting:
Now for the (hopefully not) silly question:
Is it wise to wait for the fruit to go before taking the buds?
Cheers.
Albert

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE