POLL: Should bushcraft get professional?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Would you be interested in a 'Basic Bushcraft Competence' certificate?

• Yes, a certificate would help me to gain access to bushcraft land

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Yes, but I don't think it would help with access to land

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • No, but training from existing bushcraft companies is useful

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • No, I don't think it's worth having

Votes: 62 50.0%

• Total voters

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
[snip]
Look at how many licensed drivers get points for speeding. They are breaking the law, no two ways about it yet they have a licence saying they are responsible and worthy to drive on our roads. A licence doesn't mean anything.

You're using drivers licenses as an example. So... since they don't mean anything, we could do without drivers licenses. Then nobody would have to pass an exam; everyone could just step into a car and take to the road completely uneducated.

Since I don't agree with that last bit, I'm forced to disagree -with all due respect- with your statement "A licence doesn't mean anything".

This idea of a certificate/permit/licence to go into the woods is a terrible idea in every conceivable way for reasons already mentioned in this thread and probably more besides.

Cost, exclusion, meddling in something that's about getting AWAY from that sort of thing, ratcheting, regulation and more besides.

The more the "authority" gets involved in things (with a tiny number of exceptions) the worse things become.

I'd sooner be prevented from using some land than need a licence to use any - and while this isn't proposed by the OP as a licence like cars but a cycling proficiency test style certificate... the words "thin", "end" and "wedge" spring to mind.

If such a scheme existed, people like myself who don't have a great deal of money and are really attracted to wild camping/bushcraft, in part do to its lack of cost, would be priced out. If such a scheme were available I could see landowners who otherwise take a more sensible approach deciding that it'd save a certain degree of headaches to only allow certificate holders on - meaning those who either can't afford or don't want such a certificate simply can't follow their passion any more.

Bad idea.

Springheeljack1

Forager
May 12, 2011
Sheffield
I say yes, but I would like it to be done by say the National Trust or National Parks (i.e. Peaks District) then giving you access to areas of their lands - You could book dates and 'rough' locations. I would pay for that as I could then use the Peak District which is right next to the village I live in, without feeling a little bit guilty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE