Polishing

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, sometimes I need to polish stuff.

The latest is some old cowrie shells. They are nice ones but have lost the vital cowrie shine.

So I got out my dremel clone, nothing to polish with.

I tried;

toothpaste
brass polish.

Both light abrasives.

But I can only get them up to `satin`

I need them `gloss`

Wht should I be using? You have no idea how depressing satin finish cowries are.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know someone who made a good living selling Scottish Seashore Jewellery....wee pebbles of nice shapes that he araldited to a pendant bail and then dipped into clear varnish. The varnish acted like water does and brightened the colour and it made them shine too. Should work on the shells too.

Hear Tengu ? that might make a nice wee sideline for you ? Seaglass would be lovely strung like that or matched up to make earrings.

M

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Did a quick search and it appears that people use regular polishing compounds, fine white or even "rouge".

If I didn't have those, I might try an automotive polish.

There is something else though. There are some serious health warnings associated with polishing shells. Polishing compound dust isn't good, but the dust of shells can be worse. I have watched videos of people using dremel grinding stones on shells without any sort of dust mask and know that all sorts of particles are getting inhaled. :yuck: Clearly you can't polish under water. I would wear a mask and do it outdoors, but that might not be an option for you.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
furniture wax would also work in place of varnish

I agree with Chris on the abrasive polishing front. I've polished horn and stuff using fine white polishing compound (like a dry version of autosol) on a loose polishing mop. It doesn't make it shine, but prepares the surface for the wax polish. In my case I've used carnuba wax on a loose cotton mop, but a tin of polish will work too

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I cut and carve and polish pieces of sea shell, such as abalone, for use as inlay in many of my wood carvings.
I have excellent dust control, I work with stones in a drill press, right in the open mouth of the dust pick-up.
Lee Valley crepe rubber stick to clean the crap out of the grind stone. It's only the stuff that looks like smoke that concerns me.

Polishes are abrasives. All of them. Particle size can be measured as manufactured.
Chromium Oxide is usually 0.5 micron (micrometer) and green in color.
Aluminum Oxide id snow white but may have pigment added, about 0,25 micron
Oxides of iron and copper vary through blacks to rust (!!) reds, sold as 0.25micron.
Jeweler's rouge is iron oxide, about 0.2 micron.

If you can't seem to get beyond satin, the surface is scratched, a 10X magnifier will show that.

The ferromagnetic properties of iron particles don't emerge until down into the nanometer particle sizes.
I tried to use my Akai reel to reel tape deck on fast forward to polish a knife blade. Would take years.
An old floppy disk drive is just as bad.

For honing my wood carving tools, I use a waxy bar mix of Chromium Oxide and Aluminum Oxide (Lee Valley)
Highly recommended that I have not tried are Autosol and Flexcut Gold.

Water-wet glossy.
You have to fill the scratches with something that flows like paint. Lots of things already mentioned.
I find the shells have an unexpected gloss that doesn't look natural, not even wet.
Maybe a patchy finish as if partly dried? Beyond the cutting and shaping, I don't finish shell inlay at all.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Shell is calcium carbonate. Which is soft.
Pearls are from the same material, so google how to polish pearls using what, and you should be fine.

I suspect you micro scratched the shell surface.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE