Polish Lavvu Mod Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I unearthed a Polish lavvu I bought some time ago because I'm going to be using it the week after next.
Now, I've seen a lot of mods done to these, all of which are good, but none I can really be bothered with (not quite true - wouldn't mind having a zip in it, but I only use it once in a blue moon so never quite get around to such a large undertaking).

But there is one mod I'd like to do before going out - attach a loop to the apex so it can suspended from a branch or A frame so I don't need the internal pole. Thus freeing up quite a bit of space.

Just wanted some advice, and ideally close up pictures, from anyone who's done this.
What I'd like to see is where you attached the loop - which flaps of material, etc.
Any good pictures illustrating what you've done would be gratefully appreciated. I want to get this done this weekend and the sewing machine is on standby...

Cheers.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Cheers.
All done now.
A little bit of looking and a little bit of thinking and it was easy enough to work out the best way of doing it.

I love the lantern hanging over the front. Lovely touch.
How long did you cut the poles? I'm guessing about 8 foot?

Reactions: Railway

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Don’t forget to tie a pine cone or stone inside top or you could tear it.
A chunky double way YKK zip works apparently, something I’ve been looking at.
Probably keep the other side as it is.(bottoned)

Last edited:

Railway

Jan 21, 2023
Germany
Sorry for reactivating this not exactly brandnew topic, but

A little bit of looking and a little bit of thinking and it was easy enough to work out the best way of doing it.

@Wander , would you mind going a bit more into detail? That would be awfully nice, for I am facing the same problem and am still undecided, how to do it best.

I am planing to sew the sling positioned 90° to the button rows to the upcoming seam on one side and to the little flap that's covering the beginning of the button row on the opposite side, in such a way that I can still fold the tops of the sheets/ponchos in and out easyly. Is that correct?

Anyway I see a general problem: if errected with a pole, the tops of the two halfs are placed one over the other and sealed by the pressure of the pole.
If the tent is pulled up at a sling on one top, the inner top tends to collaps/topple over and create a hole in the top: great for ventilation in summer, I presume - but uncool in heavy rain... . One could prevent that by binding a sling directly under the top - but then one could spare the effort of sewing on slings alltogether...:rolleyes:.

Any suggestions?

That's a ruddy brilliant idea, eh?

My first thought, too: keeps the sheet untouched (what I like) and one zipper can be used on different sizes. But: it leaves the buttonholes on one side unprotected, so in heavy rain water will run through. I think I will stick to sewing one in the way it is made here (buttons still in place but conjunction pretty tight).

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
These are now rare and dear in value. I watched member Matt Bigmonster’s YouTube tutorial.
I came away thinking ‘ all those Poles managed quiet well as issued. I’m lazy, mine is. Works fine

Reactions: Kadushu

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
These are now rare and dear in value. I watched member Matt Bigmonster’s YouTube tutorial.
I came away thinking ‘ all those Poles managed quiet well as issued. I’m lazy, mine is. Works fine
I came to almost the opposite conclusion but with the same result: that sewing up 4 arm holes, sewing on zips and sewing the 2 halves together at the back is a lot of work and ends up with something far from the original with various inconvenient vestiges so I'd prefer to leave it alone. I may make a new one from scratch with all the features I want and none of the bits I don't.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Don’t bother sewing a zipper into place, you can fit a chunky nylon zipper by sewing buttons to one side of the zipper and cutting button holes in the other side of the zipper with a hot knife. Then you simply button it into place and your lavvu remains mint. If you can find a third poncho you can create a A frame porch area that drops down to close the lavvu without messing about with the buttons. My main mod for the lavvu is to make hardwood pegs and external hardwood poles to do away with the centre pole as you have done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE