Polish Lavuu Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,

I just received a Polish Army Lavuu from Miltary Mart and wanted to ask a question before giving them a call tomorrow.
Once I opened up the package it came in, it seems to be two different poncho's. One is quite new with three eyelets on either side and seems to be in really good nick, however the other seems a lot lighter in colour and has only two eyelets on either side as well as having a small hole in it(which I suppose could be repaired). They don't seem to line up when I try to fit them together, am I doing something wrong or are they one old type and one newer type?

Any advice would be appreciated before I phone them tomorrow and make a pratt of myself if they are supposed to be like that.

cheers

Andy

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I honestly dont know but it doesnt sound right. if it was sold as unissued you wouldnt expect holes either. I love mine as a poncho by the fire but they are awful shelters without some serious modifications. Dark, dingy and too small

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Call them up and explain - the damaged one is just that - damaged.

Its not advertised, but there are apparently three different sizes - small, medium and large, and there is quite a bit of difference between them whn used as a laavu. However, as Paul says, none are exactly massive! However, if using an internal tripod (Wilkinsons adjustable clothesline poles) to eliminate the cntral pole, then they are adequate unless you're well over 6ft. Two big plusses in the winter are that they warm up very quickly even with just a candle, and are certainly very dark, which is a good thing as it means you can sleep past dawn:)

Thanks guys, will give them a call tomorrow then.
I'm only a short lad so will be fine for me and I like dark and warm, summer or winter. Since it'll be mostly forest camping I'm doing, I'll be modding it to hang from a ridge line as well as few other things I have in mind.

cheers again :)

Andy

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
bought one of mine from military mart, mine arrived with those cable wraps on, inside it was damp and mouldy, not their fault as they are just buying them in like that as grade one, but it wouldn't hurt to open them up, check then before they send them out :confused:

Spoke to a nice lady this morning, she emailed me a return form and a prepaid label to send back the damaged/small one and she is sending me out another three eyelet one to match the good one I got. Good service as far as I'm concerned, looks like I'll use them again.

I'm looking forward to getting it. As I want to sew up the back and add a zip to the front and some velcro on the storm flap. Along with a loop with a dutch hook added to the peak so I can use it with a ridgeline. I've got an old groundsheet from a similar sized tent and will make up a bathtub floor for it, was also thinking of closing of two of the arm holes diagonally opposite each other.
It's for me and the dog as she'd probably wander if I was hammocking.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I'm with Mr Thrills on the Polish lavuu but it sounds like it will be good for you, especially with the mods. Enjoy it. btw, the canvas is well proofed and sheds rain very well.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I bought mine from MM and they were slightly different sizes but in overall good nick, I would give them a call and or email to sort it out, you shouldn't have to sew it up. I have found the lavuu great at shedding water too and have not had to treat mine yet. Hope you get it sorted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE