Polish army tent - Lavvu on a budget ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Mine too... Dark, small and cold... Need to put a tarp on it as a porch area to be able to stretch out.

I've pitched it several times and tried to like it but not managed to. I've now given up. More useful as two ponchos than as a tipi.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Has anyone ever bought two of these tents and joined them together? I would love to see some photos or video if they have. I now the basic two poncho set up will be to cramped for my porky 6'2" frame but like the idea of trying the Lavvu set up especially when an open fire is part of the camp out experience.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I've used mine quite a lot now, for up to a week at a time. I've learned to pitch it as an oval instead of a circle in order to be able to stretch out in it, and also to angle the pole so that I don't have to curl around it. I sleep well in it because it's so dark inside.

Ventilation is critical or moisture condenses inside. I leave the entrance mostly unbuttoned and just hook both bottoms over the same tent stake when I want it closed. A fire in front makes it really cozy, but a reflector is essential in order to redirect smoke. Making the fire against a big rock and then pitching the tent with the entrance one big step away is ideal.

The only "modification" I've done is loops of baling twine through the grommets at the bottom. They allow me to use large stakes cut on site and/or tie off to saplings. It also adds some ventilation from underneath.

Reactions: Tigger004

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Ahh the advantage of being only 5'9" and female - I have one of these, pitched it in an oval shape and with a happy little firebox just outside the open doors I sleep soundly and snugly. But then I sleep soundly in a bivi bag or Czech bedroll... So, what do I know? Mine cost about £15 and it's not dead yet, me neither.. Though my tiny adaptation is to put a groundsheet under the pole and to have made a small wooden support for the pole to stand on so it doesn't dig into the groundsheet or sink into the ground once it's gone through the groundsheet! It gets heavy if it's wet, but then it's not really a backpacking bit of kit!

Reactions: Tigger004
Jun 7, 2015
barnsley
Military mart in the uk sell these for £20 best bit of kit... all be it abit heavy but if you compare it to other water/wind proof sleep systems its not all that heavy and for the money its spot on and easily modifyd/personalised too

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
A friend has just given me theirs as they knew I had one - I'm going to experiment with a skirt and and a taller pole.. But I have a query.. When I got my original one it had been through some kind of waterproofing. Do I need to do anything to the 'new' one to waterproof it? I always wonder about new canvas stuff. I've never got wet through but that may be luck, or sleeping through the rain and through the dry out period after...

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
Just had mine out for its first proper use. The canvas got soaked through but didn't leak except for a small patch right down low but that stopped as soon the heavy rain let up. Not bad for something that was waterproofed in the early '80s then lobbed into storage.

Still going to fabsil the whole lot though.

DSCN0251.jpg

That's after 26 hours pretty solid rain and everything was soaked.

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
my mummy has got me one for my 33rd birthday. im hoping to use it as shelter at work when the weather is not so good as well as bushcraft duties.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
These things are like marmite you either love them or hate them, I love mine and I'm 5'10" no problems, just bend your knees a bit

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Brilliant things for the canoe, and I'm 6' 4", and there's enough room for me....
Mods can be as extensive as you like but as they are minimalist £20 tents, it seemed odd to go and spend a fortune thereon?
So, some spare cord to add loops around the circumference...aids pitching with decent pegs
Some spare cord to lace the opening instead of fiddling with the buttons
£3 extendable washing line pole from B and Q. Cut 18" off bottom and slipped on rubber foot. Put that in a tin lid on groundsheet.
A cheap woven tarp £5 for groundsheet and a Czech army bivi/bedroll for £9. Snug. And I don't like to be cold.....

Of course you can sew in zips, flaps, whatever......

Has stood up to some good breezes and never leaked........

Oooh, expensive mod....ECO tealight lamp, and 10 hr candle....about a tenner............( hung from chain from top of washing line pole, as has a hook thing up there?)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE