Pole/ treadle lathe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Any pole/ treadle lathe users on here? I quite fancy building or buying one for a bit of a giggle. I've got a craving to make some socket chisels and I'd need to make he handles.

cheers

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Seen it done at fairs and such. Always thought it looked real cool. Might have to give it a to one day. I wouldn't think thy we're too hard to make. :)

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
I've just started playing on a lathe. Fantastic fun! If you can forge your own tools you'll have absolutely no problem using a lathe. But it is addictive.

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
if you are intending to use a lathe, you will also need a shave-horse, so best factor that one in to. My lathe has upright poles with a bungee, rather than a flexing pole to the back - saves space. The lathe is the Mike Abbott pattern - double board bed with poppets running between. If making a MK2 I would likely go for a design where the poppets are pierced by a single bed. Also doing a leg design to allow working height to be altered would be good. And a more adjustable tool rest.... There are a couple of treadle designs around too - the best I've seen allows it to flip-flop so allowingthe cord to be switched from piece left to right or right to left - very handy for speeding up working both ends. You will need a few turning chisels - the 4 piece ray iles set is pretty good value and work well when bedded in. Also a draw knife for the shavehorse. A standard hatchet wil do for roughing out.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Very informative post Treemonk, thank you.

I'm well sorted on the hatchet front and I'd make the rest of the tools myself. I've got a draw knife in the works as it is that might actually get finished soon enough.
I know I've got plenty of coil spring for this kind of work. ;)

all the best
Andy

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
Any pole/ treadle lathe users on here? I quite fancy building or buying one for a bit of a giggle. I've got a craving to make some socket chisels and I'd need to make he handles.

cheers

I fiddled about with a crude pole lathe for a bit, it was fun:D I made a candlestick-thingie, a bat, and a lot of wood shavings!
I think I have a photo somewhere, if you want it, but it is really ugly- two lumps of wood, big nails, clamped to a table saw:rolleyes:. the spring was a bungie cord tied between two poles, lashed to the same table

if you are intending to use a lathe, you will also need a shave-horse, so best factor that one in to. You will need a few turning chisels - the 4 piece ray iles set is pretty good value and work well when bedded in. Also a draw knife for the shavehorse. A standard hatchet wil do for roughing out.

what do you need the shave-horse for? Maybe if you are planning on doing it big-time, but when you are just putting your feet in the water...

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Get back to the ATC Andy - Luke tells me they have 7, with two set up in the woods ready to go at the moment.

Thanks for putting me on to the ATC, BTW. Will you get back here soon so I can thank you in person?

Peter

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
what do you need the shave-horse for? Maybe if you are planning on doing it big-time, but when you are just putting your feet in the water...

because you need to round the piece for turning as well as possible - or suffer massive chatter which feels nasty when turning, knackers your fine chisel edge, and can throw the piece off centre. Generally not helpful when learning to turn. You can faff with your axe, far easier with draw knife and shave horse.

rancid badger

I fiddled about with a crude pole lathe for a bit, it was fun:D I made a candlestick-thingie, a bat, and a lot of wood shavings!
I think I have a photo somewhere, if you want it, but it is really ugly- two lumps of wood, big nails, clamped to a table saw:rolleyes:. the spring was a bungie cord tied between two poles, lashed to the same table

I found that it was a pain in the backside trying to work decent bits of greenwood without the shave horse.

It can be done and I guess if you're just messing about then it may well not be worth the hassle of making one but then again, the hassle and time involved in making the pole lathe itself would seem a bit pointless if your not going to use it much.:confused:

My pole lathe also serves as a trestle for my canoe and my shave horse, when not in use, makes a great observation post for a Robin;)

cheers and good luck

Steve

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
because you need to round the piece for turning as well as possible - or suffer massive chatter which feels nasty when turning, knackers your fine chisel edge, and can throw the piece off centre. Generally not helpful when learning to turn. You can faff with your axe, far easier with draw knife and shave horse.

huh. maybe I was doing something wrong then, cos I didn't get too much chatter, and I seem to remember turning a square, seasoned, lump of pine...or I could just be forgetting the chatter...:eek:

I found that it was a pain in the backside trying to work decent bits of greenwood without the shave horse.

It can be done and I guess if you're just messing about then it may well not be worth the hassle of making one but then again, the hassle and time involved in making the pole lathe itself would seem a bit pointless if your not going to use it much.:confused:

My pole lathe also serves as a trestle for my canoe and my shave horse, when not in use, makes a great observation post for a Robin;)

cheers and good luck

Steve

like I said, my pole lathe was hardly a hassle to make...though I might have wound up making a shave horse if I'd stuck with it and got serious about it.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Get back to the ATC Andy - Luke tells me they have 7, with two set up in the woods ready to go at the moment.

Thanks for putting me on to the ATC, BTW. Will you get back here soon so I can thank you in person?

Peter

Hi Peter, yup I'll be coming down shortly after I get back to shore next week. Looks like there is a volunteer day on the 12th. Should be able to mak it to that! Perhaps I'll see you there.

Im not sure if/ when they are open but I will be going once I get back. I'll only be in Dorset for a week though.

We're talking about this place btw
http://www.ancienttechnologycentre.co.uk/

I need a shave horse for another project I've got in the works so its no big deal to make one of those too.

My main concern at this point is the space these will take up. And the relatively limited supply of space I now have. Lol.

Cheers

Last edited:

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
You should be able to round off a green billet of wood with an axe well and quick enough to turn perfectly well on the pole lathe. A shave horse will speed up the process if you are turning a lot.
As for rounding off and using dry timber, it is easy enough to turn seasoned wood, it just takes longer, sometimes quite a bit longer. I turn wooden strop blanks on the pole lathe from seasoned ash 1 inch thick by 3 wide and 12 inch long.
You need a light touch when using seasoned wood, just run the gouge lightly across the wood to take the bumps off. Once the wood is a cylindar everything gets easier. Remember to keep the centres tight and to lubricate them with wax or oil, again this makes a big difference.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Ah well. Next time then! All the best.

Yeah, I can round a log with an axe in no time at all. I'm not too worried about that aspect of things.

I'll see what materials I've got back at the folks place. I know there's enough to knock up a half decent shave horse in an afternoon.

Not sure about the pole lathe though. I'd go the elastic bungee route. Beyond that, who knows.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE