Polar Pure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Wayland,

Are you sure that you need a iodine based purification system? theres a lot of places that chorine based products will kill everything your likely to encounter, and chlorine tabs will taste like normal tap water when used, although you can get the taste for iodine after a while :D . Have used a variety of iodine tabs and drops over the years and all taste pretty foul, but maybe thats why you want the polar pure tabs, are they supposed not to taste of anything?
Beware though, most companys recommend that on trips over 3 months that you don't use iodine as it will still be in your system for years and it ain't that good for you, but it sounds like you want it "just in case" so ignore my ramblings :lmao:

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Polar Pure is just pure elemental iodine crystals in a special bottle.

I have used USP grade iodine in a 2 oz glass bottle for years. The Polar Pure bottle has a nice nylon screen to keep any stray iodine crystals from pouring over and a thermometer scale to figure out the dose, but you should be able to make your own from iodine you purchase at a chemists. Iodine is a great reagent for many chemical reactions so it may be on the restricted list over there.

One of the best things about using this method is that a few grams of iodine can treat hundreds of litres of water.

Some people do need to be concerned about using iodine but that is something you will need to determine.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Just a personal thing I suppose. I'm a bit wary of using Iodine for water treatment due to possible problems for people with thyroid conditions or pregnant females.

I agree with the last post, Polar Pure is a bottle of Iodine crystals mixed with water. You can do that yourself (a lot cheaper too I suspect).

For me a good filter or boiling. Can't beat it.

Smarty

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Certainly boiling after the Millbank bag is my method of choice, but I wanted a bombproof method for use on occasions where that is not possible for some reason.

Most water filters require time and effort to use, replacement filters and do not deal with viruses unless they have an iodine element.

The Millbang bag gets rid of large particles by just hanging it up. Boiling or chemical traetment can be done while something else is happening.

Life's too short for carrying and pumping filters as far as I can see.

I've certainly thought of making my own iodine crystal bottle but what I like about the Polar Pure idea is that it is small, self contained, has the dose instructions permanently marked on the bottle (who can remember amounts and times after two or three years of not needing them), seems to deal with most water hazards including viruses ( excluding cryptosporidium of course) with no shelf life problems.

I don't mind paying a little extra for a good piece of kit providing it does exactly what it says on the bottle ;)

It would be nice though to be able to get it from the UK if possible.

ssj

Forager
Jan 7, 2004
Colorado, USA
My one concern about Polar Pure is that the bottle itself seems to be a bit fragile. I haven't broken one and have not tried. This is just a perception that may or may not be true. Apparently Schwert has used it for some time so perhaps he has some insight on this. I have the Polar Pure and also bottles with iodine crystals in them. You can always tape instructions on the bottles with a good waterproof packing tape.
Steve

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I actually do not have a real Polar Pure bottle, I use a heavy walled 2 oz glass bottle that I "acquired" from my shelf in my old lab. I generally carry it in my cook pot or mug with surrounding stuff so have never had one break...leak yes...what a mess, but never break.

The Polar Pure bottle is a bit larger than my setup but I would carry it the same way.

I taped instructions on my bottle...they are a bit brown now from the leaks and dribbles but still readable.

I always mean to buy a real Polar Pure bottle but they are sort of expensive.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have used both the Polar Pure and iodine crystals in a bottle. I keep the instructions in a small vinyl pouch along with all my other little tidbits of information, all written on sheets of waterproof paper. The Polar Pure bottle is rugged, but I keep bottles like that double packed in a second poly bottle. You can buy regular ol' iodine in a plastic bottle at the chemist and it will do for you as well. Cody Lundin describes this well in his book 98.6 degrees.

Throw in some ascorbic acid tabs or kool aid to kill the iodine taste.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE