Pointy Bowl and a great new carving aid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Finished this bowl Yesterday; actually started it at woodfest last weekend lots of people including Bardster had a hand in roughing it out.

spaltedbowltop.jpg

spaltedbowlside3.jpg

spaltedbowlside2.jpg

Paulswork.jpg

But the real find was the chest protector that Bardster gave me at woodfest- Brilliant for pointy shapes like this- you can see how the leather has been indented by the wood yet the very soft points ( Spalted Birch) were unharmed. I have never knowingly come close to cutting myself when carviing towards my chest yet the first time I used the guard it took quite a beating. Maybe this is similar to the idea that you drive less safely when wearing a seatbelt? ( not knocking seatbelts though!)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
That's a real beauty! Lovely to see the lines of carving in the bowl. I like the look of the chest protector, too. looks as though I might have to break out the leather...

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
That bowl is not bad for a blacksmith :).............................................................................. :You_Rock_

I had spent most of the week camping at the Hay festival, all the rain finally washed the soot out of my hands- was the first time I have carved wood that has stayed clean from start to finish :)

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Lovely bowl Nic, and glad the protector came in useful. I think you are right though, knowing the leather is there, i too make cuts closer to my chest such that the protector is marked by the knife. Cuts I wouldn't make if it wasn't there.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Beautiful bowl Nic.
It's quite unfair of you to be so talented given your skill as a bladesmith too!
Bardster's leather protector reminds me of the gorget worn by some regiments as part of a dress uniform
although this is usually made of brass.
Cheers , Simon

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Lovely work as ever. I was thinking about how i would carve a bowl like that (badly). Do you carve out the bowl in a regular way first and then use the gouge to carve the detail, and then work on the outside of the bowl?

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Thats the how this one was done- carved out to a regular bowl shape then the flutes added with a twca cam, normally I would carve out and start the flutes off with an adze of the same radius then clean them up with the twca cam. I then rough shaped the outside with an axe and finished with a couple of knives- I use a fine detail blade to blend in the concave curves on the outside; another thing I make but isn't on my site.

Give it a go!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE