pocket knives what to buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alex.c

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2011
England
I was thinking of getting a trevor ablett clip point pocket knife but was wondering how long they lasted as i want one that will last a good few years. and before i get one is the any other uk legal carry knives i should look at first.
cheers
Alex:)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
As long as you don't sharpen your Ablett on a stone day after day and wear the blade down to a nub, and as long as you don't run over it with a tank or drop it in the ocean, it should last you a couple decades or more. :) I'm not positive about the tank though. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They last well - I've had mine for years - its normally sharpened on a coffee cup!

I use one of three "EDC legal" knives.

Two blade Ablett - just general use
UKPK. This knife does not move me - its handle is square and uncomfortable. But it has one handed opening. If I'm cutting and closing a LOT (e.g. stringing up netting etc.) the one hand opening is useful enough
SAK. If I'm "out and about" the extra tools (especially saw, scissors, tweezers, screwdrivers) make this my pick

Red

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Three for me too...
Sak Farmer. Everyday carry plus always out camping, its can opener, awl and saw are so usefull
Svord peasent. Lovely knife
Fgyt's fantastic peasent style blade... Far more robust.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi Alex, I have just bought myself a new "uk legal" EDC
http://www.heinnie.com/-UK-Legal-Carry-Knives/Rough-Rider-UK-Legal/Rough-Rider-Rifleman-Canoe/p-641-646-4281/ which is a great little knife for the price and surprisingly sharp straight out of the box.

Also dont forget to check out this link http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/-UK-Legal-Carry-Knives/c-1-92-641/ mainly as this is my favourite online shop at the moment but it basically lists a large number of uk legal folders depending on your price range.

Cheers, Hamster

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
personally i like trappers and sodbusters as EDC's traditional but hard working and simple patterns

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
iv been through loads of pocket knives over the years many have been useless poorly made and just dont give confidence i think its very much a personal thing iv used some that have come recomended and i just cant get on with them. I think untill you use them and can compare them its hard to no, the most important thing for me is that i can use it with the same confidence as when i use my fixed blade alltho more care must be taken. Anyway im sure you already no this.
I love both traditional and modern knives for traditional i cant recommend a CASE high enough they will last a lifetime and more very well made good materials the only slight negative i could give is on the blades close to 3 inch some can be alittle flexi On the thiner blades, this is were my favorite modern knife excels spyderco ukpk very well made no movement will take alot of hard use possibly not as comfy as a case. I love the way the spyde feels in the hand and how it opens and closes.
But if i had to take one of them on a life long trip it would be a case purely because theyv stood the test ot time and abuse.

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
I'm a recent convert to Spydercos, having used many, many knives. Photos do Spydercos no justice. Once in the hand, and cutting, you'll understand why they're great. Their budget line of knives are excellent, and if you're looking for inexpensive and street-legal, the Byrd Tern's not shabby.

I've blogged a few photos and reviews here: http://www.jeffzie.com/tagged/bushcraft gear

Hope that's helpful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE