Plums in or Plums out?

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Having made Sloe gin and Vodka last year I have made some plum flavoured ones this year my question is this.

I left the Sloes in the liquid last year for approx 3 months (got that of a webbite I think ) but the results were excellent, but do I need to leave the Plums in as long and if not what can I do with said alcoholic fruits I have read you can make jam with them.:eek:

I have made some jam too which is great but I dont really want to waste the plums from the Gin etc. I dont want to be losing my license for been under the influence of jam after brekky one day!!! so any ideas would be great.

Cheers

Andy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'd leave my plums in, and the fruit will keep almost indefinately in the fridge once removed, Jam would be nice but I prefer to dip the fruits in melted dark chocolate, allow to harden and serve with some nice ice-cream.

On a point of note I'd remove the stones before puting in the alcohol as I seem to remember that poision can leetch out, think it was small amounts of arsnic. I could be wrong though, I just never take the chance.

GB.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Arsenic!!:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

I dont know what would be worse throwing it away as I HAVE left the stones in.

Or

giving it a go and seeing what happens.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Has anyone else come across this bit of info?

I have tried to google it but nothing comes up and in most of the recipes I have seen it does not categorically state to remove them. The thing is now you have said it Goatboy I do remember reading something similar as well.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My mum once told me apple pips contained arsenic but I think that was to stop me eating them all the time. She also said a tree would grow inside me but then I knew she was winding me up :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The amounts are so small that you would have to eat one heck of a lot of jam to get any kind of dose!
That loverly almond taste is basically arsnic poison!
Unless you are particularly sensitive to arsnicor intend eating about 3 tons of plum stones a day for the next 95 years I would not worry too much.
And I would deffo not bung any plum jam/gin that you made with the stones left in the mix!

unless you want to bung it it my direction...then I would recommend this course of action!:D

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
Actually I'm pretty sure it's very tiny amounts of Cyanide from plum stones.. in fact most stones and pips.

Google around and it shows you have to ingest some serious quantities for it to become a factor but pickling plums in a drink..? Probably take the stones out rather than leaving it for months if you are worried.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I agree, yes I supplied the info, but I think the amount is tiny... so unless you drink a lot like the Somerset chap who used to drink 20 pints of cider a day and went blind due to persistence of arsenic in the tissues behind his eyes you'll be OK, Was just saying that if you can take out the stones... One batch, small batch should be perfectly cool. It's like the "Clown" union of America who had research done into helium in gestation, and found that repeated in gestation could also cause blindness in an effect similar to the Benz where bubbles built up behind the eye and caused blindness. Not many are exposed to these levels but lets be careful. On a subject closer to the hearts of folk here the banning of Iodine, These are rough figures and I'll look them up to confirm. One should only use iodine daily to purify water for a maximum of two months, and then take a twety-four month break. This does not include folk with goitres syndrom or other thyroid problems and or people who expect to become pregnant within this time, who should avoid altogether.
GB.

Javapuntnl

Need to contact Admin...
May 2, 2009
Mansfield MA USA
Both arsenic and cyanide can be found in plum stones actually most stone fruit stones including walnuts and almonds but in very small doses and although they advice against it these days I'm still a big fan of green walnuts, delicious...
Question; since I have not been able to find any sloe here would it be possible to substitute all sloe with plum???

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Thanks for all the info guys.

Have now got 5 ltrs of Plum Vodka, the same of Plum Gin.

10 huge jars of Jam.

Just found a Damson tree so I will be having a go at that.

The Brambles round here are very poor this year unless im looking in all the wrong places?

Just waiting for a few more Sloes to ripen then I will be on with that.

Thanks once again folks.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Cheers al, if they do it then it should be ok mate!!

On another subject im off to Francais to 2 weeks from Friday but once back we should get a bimble sorted its coming upto my favourite time of year!!!

Talk to you soon.

Andy

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
On another subject im off to Francais to 2 weeks from Friday but once back we should get a bimble sorted its coming upto my favourite time of year!!!

Talk to you soon.

Andy

Sounds good.

Have a nice time in France. I might even have my tree huggers finished by the time you return.

Al

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
:D At the end of a 12 hour day I just came home and had a bit of a gin making sesh!!!
This evenings recipies were, Blackberry and vanilla, Rhubarb and stem ginger ( smells wonderfull already ), Raspberry and cardomom pod, redcurrent and vanilla, & blueberrys with saffron and vanilla.
I'm gonna win the board at the village martini contest this year :rolleyes:
Thinking of rhubarb and mandarin with ginger for tomorrow, and when the cranberries come in there'll be my signature "Cranberry Whiskey" with a wee hint of clove.:red:
I know I seem to have vanilla in a lot of them, but I found that the addition of good vanilla pods to the drinkies smooths out any roughness without having to add too much sugar, also the puds afterwards with the fruit is extra scrummy.
Plus even after washing my hands, the juice from the vanilla pods permeates my skin and indeed the house to create a wonderfull aroma of heaven.
My vacuum has a bit in the filter to add an airfreshener, ages ago I popped in a bit of vanilla and some clove oil and wow, hoovering makes the house smell wonderfull. Domestic God that I am HEHE.
TTFN
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE