please can anyone ID this crayfish?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Caught from an extremely clean (glacial fed) french lake yesterday, large crayfish, about 10-15 cms long, turquoise between the joints of legs and green/brownish all over. Very aggressive, very fast movers. I want to know if this is an indigenous crayfish and therefore protected or can be caught and eaten in large quantities.

Sorry for blurred photo, but they were fast! unable to get a photo on here, but here is a link:

http://twitter.com/#!/tawnyhare/status/94071550248108033

thanks!

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
351950394.jpg

there you go

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Caught from an extremely clean (glacial fed) french lake yesterday, large crayfish, about 10-15 cms long, turquoise between the joints of legs and green/brownish all over. Very aggressive, very fast movers. I want to know if this is an indigenous crayfish and therefore protected or can be caught and eaten in large quantities.

Sorry for blurred photo, but they were fast! unable to get a photo on here, but here is a link:

http://twitter.com/#!/tawnyhare/status/94071550248108033

thanks!

Doesn't look like an American signal crayfish, so probably native. Protected in the UK, don't know about France. Signal crayfish have red claws.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
OK, I was not sure they were signals - signals are much smaller than this, I think?

We did actually eat these two, but I am not going to catch anymore now if they are not signals, such a shame as the lake is a tourist hotspot and holiday makers are hooking them out of the water here, there and everywhere with nets - I hope that they have the sense to put them back, but I watched all the buckets yesterday leave with the crayfish in them. Some were huge.

I need a definitive answer on this one, as if they are signals, I will make a trap and have them for breakfast every morning!!!!

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Signals get bigger than that, I've had some monsters! Take as many as you can get if you're allowed. I think you might have got confused it's signals that are the invasive ones.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
OK, I was not sure they were signals - signals are much smaller than this, I think?...

Don't really know what"signal" is per se. But an American crawfish is anywhere from 2" to 7" with the average being about 4." for wild and 5" for farmed. And no, they don't all have red claws.

As for cooking and eating them, it takes about a pound of live crawfish per person to make a meal. They need to be placed in a couple of changes of fresh water over a 12-24 hour period while live to purge before cooking.

Last edited:

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I must say there are so many in the lake, we have just been out again this evening and my daughter caught two with a hobo line and bacon, they seem to be crawling all over the place. I was confused by the turquoise joints, thought that must be something indigenous. But if the general consensus is that they are signal - I mean we got japanese knot weed here, so no doubt they could be an import too....then I am happy to go with it.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
In the water. You can see the striking flash of colour at the pincer joint even though it's quite well camouflaged.
16072011579.jpg

Out the water. I just plucked this one straight out - approach from behind and hold it at the side of the carapace like that. The only place you can hold them without them being able to pinch you.
16072011582.jpg

16072011581.jpg

16072011580.jpg

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
great photos Bushwacker, thanks, yep, well this is definitely what I have been catching, the flash of blue on the pincer is unmistakable, now I know what to look for - I feel very very sad for the lake, which I would have thought was a pristine mountain lake, but of course I know now is not........but very pleased that I can now catch and eat them without guilt. Looks like it is two more for breakfast this morning along with the trout I caught yesterday evening.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE