PLCE bergan worth it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I have long back and short back bergen that I don't use so much as a LA sting holds everything I take out, question tho: has anyone tried to fit a PLCE hip pad or Hippo pad(for webbing) to their bergen hip/waist strap with any success?

nope.... but will try it this evening!

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
something else you may come up against if you go down the buying Military Kit Road, is the Issue sleeping bag: cheap, heavy, Warm and Big! if you get a Longback bergen you will find it a tight fit compared to the Short back if you use the compression sack that goes with it,

Short back better with webbing short and Fat
Longback better comfort?!? Long and Thin

NSN 8415 99 132 9221
Features:

Standard British Army issue rucksack to all infantry soldiers. The main pack features a large internal compartment with internal and external pockets in the lid an additional external pocket on the front big enough to take ENT tool. Fitted to the sides are
zippers that will accommodated the detachable side pouch set.

The pack has its own removable metal frame for added stability and load carry, and comes in two back lengths, either Long back or Short back, the pack is also provided with an integral waist belt.

This pack has a massive 100 Ltr main compartment.

Standard British Army issue rucksack to all infantry soldiers. The pack comes in two parts, side pouch set and main compartment.

Materials:
Constructed using tough 10 oz DuPont approved Cordura and Velcro

Fastening:
Quick release Fastex buckles
Dimensions main body:

Long back size: 360 mm wide x 580 mm high (at back) x 280 mm deep

Short back size: 360mm wide x 490 mm high (at back) x 330 mm deep

Last edited:

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
I'm quite surprised that people are saying how large this pack is, when the truth is that you will fit more into a Sabre pack (Sabre 75 or larger, with side pouches fitted).

It is possible to upgrade the shoulder straps and add a waistbelt, the problem is finding a 'donor-pack' - the best bet for this would be a Camelbak branded pack because the shoulder straps and waistbelt are top notch, however due to the total cost of this I would advise you just buy a Sabre and save all the time and effort!

If you really do want the forces issued bergan, it is soon to be replaced with a new design which is bigger than the current model - it may be worth waiting to bag an older (and therefore cheaper) example.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
I have a Vector Commando, if your passing South Yorkshire anytime soon you are welcome to try it for size, give you an idea of how things might feel. I fully packed it a few months ago, forgotten how appallingly heavy it can get!

Dazrick

Jul 17, 2010
Birmingham
Just found myself a Berghaus Vulcan after also hearing a lot of praise for it. Haven't had chance to use it yet but it certainly seems to be bombproof, apart from the buckle at the front where the hip belt is no longer secures properly so can't keep tension.

I had the same problem the other day, but then found I had pulled the strap through the buckle holder with the clip and so there was not tension, put it right and no problems. Maybe you have a similar problem?
I have used the Vulcan and it is extremely comfortable for me, I went for the size up (size 4) as there was only an inch difference for me.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
well lads heres my new old berghaus vulcan :) well pleased with it!

FFFF7.jpg

FFFF5.jpg

FFFF6.jpg

FFFF4.jpg

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Is that the one from the guy I gave you the contact details of?
Congrats anyway, looks in decent nick!
Did you get the side pouches?

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
That's a damn good deal! They go for more than that on eBay in worse condition. He didn't have any in stock when I was after one infortunately.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE