Playing with Fire?

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Myself and Mrs.Badger tootled off down to Chopwell Wood, yesterday, around 4.45pm.

When we came out of the house, we could smell what seemed to be garden fire smoke and, recalling the sound of several sirens earlier on while waiting for her at Tesco's, I said that it smelled more like woodsmoke to me.

Anyway we drove down there and, on the way, noticed large amounts of smoke, settling in the meadows but there has been some commercial charcoal making going on lately, so assumed there was another burn in progress.

We arrived in the main carpark, to find a fire engine re-filling its water tank and hoses all over the place!

A firefighter signalled us to stop, then came across to tell us to turn round and leave immediately, as they had "a serious incident ongoing"

I explained my connection with the wood and asked if they needed any barriers opened for access but the lad explained that, luckily, there were some FC staff on site and they were assisting where required. I asked how big it was and he replied that they had 10 appliances on site, they were expecting more imminently and that they were worried that the fire could well reach the carpark.

I then wished him good luck and left. I then decided to try to establish where the fire was and how big an area was affected, so drove a couple of miles up to Medomsley and pulled off the road at a convenient spot.

What I saw across the valley:
P5130011AVI_000000133.jpg

This was taken without zoom, actually from a video, so the quality is poor but it gives an idea of the area involved. it looks small but is in fact pretty big.

This was zoomed in a fair bit:
P5130015copyresized2.jpg

and then on full zoom:
P5130008copyresized1.jpg

but it's not till you watch this, that you get a real taste of how hairy it must have been on site!:
[video=youtube;rFruAN7z1pM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFruAN7z1pM[/video]

The area affected was clear felled in 1996 or thereabouts and was then,more or less, left to revert to "lowland heath" (as a bit of an experiment I think) Anyway, it ended up a tangled mix of gorse, natural regen tree's, mainly young birch with a scattering of conifers and a screening on the north edge of larch.

It was packed with birds, small mammals, at least one badger sett and it is believed by locals( though not officially confirmed) to be inhabited by grass snakes too.

Well all that came to an end, when "someone" decided to set fire to some gorse bushes next to one of the paths, presumably for a laugh.

Now then; at about 3.40pm,a retired couple, out walking in the wood, were startled when a group of 4 kids came tearing towards them and then ran past laughing and shouting "fire fire". The old couple kept walking and found the blaze already way beyond control, about a hundred yards or so further down the path. Luckily, the wind was at their backs so they just quickly turned tail and used their mobile to call the emergency services.

To be fair; the information regarding the couple and the kids is currently just hearsay but from a very reliable source.

The real point is that you really do need to be careful how and where you light a fire. This is almost certainly arson, as opposed to a genuine accidental fire, but it could easily have been someone lighting a hobo stove or similar, without thinking or knowing any better.

Bloody shame regardless and I sincerely hope they catch the twxxs who lit it and take them to the cleaners.

cheers

R.B.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
aye a tragedy but nature will reclaim the land sometimes a fire does it good particularly on heathland one of our local woods is always being razed but its heather gorse and bracken with birch so they regenerate even stronger in fact in some years when they havent had a fire for a long period they tend to start one.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
'Tis a tragedy for the wildlife and the regular users of the site indeed.
Looking at the sites near me which are the haunt of many 'have-a-go' weekend foresters, a good fire may do less harm than their chainsaws and 4x4's!:yikes:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
There's something about biffs and setting gorse on fire. There are regular burnt patches along the Strathclyde Canal where I do some of my long runs. I expect that it's local kids mostly but, unfortunately, judging from the untidy fires and detritus lying about, likely to be 'fishermen' too.

I put 'fishermen' in quotes there because a good fisherman would treat the canal like these divvies do - a good fisherman would not start untidy fires right by the path, burning plastic, tins and green wood and leaving their c**p all over the bank of the canal.

In the same way, a good woodsman making a brew fire would not do so in a manner that burns down half the forest.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
There's something about biffs and setting gorse on fire. There are regular burnt patches along the Strathclyde Canal where I do some of my long runs. I expect that it's local kids mostly but, unfortunately, judging from the untidy fires and detritus lying about, likely to be 'fishermen' too.

I put 'fishermen' in quotes there because a good fisherman would treat the canal like these divvies do - a good fisherman would not start untidy fires right by the path, burning plastic, tins and green wood and leaving their c**p all over the bank of the canal.

In the same way, a good woodsman making a brew fire would not do so in a manner that burns down half the forest.

You are absolutely right.
Unfortunately, there are all too many who are "wasters" both "fishermen" and "woodsmen".
In fact, no matter what outdoor pursuit you can think of, there are all too many, who simply couldn't give a toss about anything, except their "right to 'enjoy' themselves", regardless of how their actions and attitude affects others.

R.B.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Unfortunately if there were reptiles on site, something like this could have dessimated them. They are not quick to flee from fires and generall get caught hiding around the base of plants. This happened in Surrey a few years back when surveying of the newly born adders was being done. Tony Phelps had found a total of 18 adders, many were immatures, so was well pleased. The last area also revealed a female smooth snake, great. So ID'd, em all, and left about 1400. At 1630 they were all dead, some nice kids thought it would be fun to set fire to the heath. These pictures are graphic, but pics tell a thousand words and illustrate what can happen wthin a few moments.

Now these are those same catalogued individuals just hours apart:

Before:

before.jpg

After:

after.jpg

Before:

before2.jpg

After:

after2.jpg

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sorry to hear this Steve, what's the extent of the damage a few days later ?

Jon D - those pics are awful mate, the bottom one in particular. They remind me of the Pompeii and Herculaeum images.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE