plant used for arrow shafts

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
tryandidentify.jpg

I found a page from a frenchman who makes very nice primitive arrows and he uses shoots from this plant. Any idea what it is and whether it can be found in England?

arcprimitif.jpg

He also makes really nice bows

empennages_bn.jpg

I tried to send him an Email but the link does not appear to work.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
It looks a little like a dogwood to me. But as Torjusg pointed out viburnum is excellent as is privet and hazel. The frenchman isn't Pierre Lansac is it? He's a member of Paleoplanet.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Snufkin said:
It looks a little like a dogwood to me. But as Torjusg pointed out viburnum is excellent as is privet and hazel. The frenchman isn't Pierre Lansac is it? He's a member of Paleoplanet.
Snufkin is spot on. The plant is:

Common Dogwood (Cornus sanguinea)

It is believed to be native in the British Isles but is found a lot in landscape planting too these days. The linked site gives some interesting info which is relevant to the subject;
Another explanation for the common name for this species comes from one use of its coppiced shoots; they were sharpened and used by farmers as animal prods or 'dags' when herding stock.
Don't eat the berries as they are really bitter and toxic. They used to be utilised for making oil apparently and are grown as coppice for basketry as the stems are very strong and flexible. Great for making woven traps, baskets etc. They naturally grow pretty straight and true when coppiced (cut down every few years) and are easily straightened when dried which would make them perfect for arrows. I imagine the Native American Indians used to use the American species for just that too.

They are also a beautiful sight in the Winter months with their striking red stems which 'glow' in the low sun.

Other cultivars you find in landscape planting can be used too. Often you will see the yellow stemmed Cornus sericea 'Flaviramea' and blood red Cornus alba 'Sibirica' too but we use the native sanguinea mostly outside urban areas and gardens.

In France it is called variously 'Cornouiller sanguin, Sanguine, Bois-punaise and Bois-puant', . Cornus means 'hard' or durable'/ tough, and sanguinea from the Old French sanguin(e) or ‘blood-red' which describe the stem colour ;)

It is widely distributed throughout England and into Scotland and is often associated with older woodland or hedgerows on calcareous soils.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Thanks everyone. I am glad I joined this forum, as I am learning a lot from other people using it :) I think I might know where there are some of the red and yellow cultivars. I'll have to go and check them out. :D
I have made arrows using good quality spruce (all the shafts came out of an old boat mast), but I want to try my hand at making primitive arrows so that would be ideal. :) I'll have to wait for a friend who shoots to bring a couple of pheasants for the feathers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE