Plant id

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
852d64eecad1ca5eacdc44102211704d.jpg

Found this stone waymarker the other day, can't work out what the plant is. It would help if it was in colour.

Any ideas? Its at the highest point of the Wyre Way, in Bowland, on acid grassland.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Possibly lacking in a few botanical details for a poisitive ID. Maybe contact the Wyre Way to see if they explain their waymarker.

Last edited:

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Maybe the artist interpretation of a cowslip. Just a wild guess though. It really could be one of many native plants. It will be documented, as interest over the years will have been great.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Those stone waymarkers on the Wyre Way were made by locals who were commissioned by the Lancashire Ramblers Association to carve them after they had attended a stone carving workshop at Bridge House Farm Tearooms in Wray. The flower has six petals and primrose like leaves though primroses only have five petals. The carvings are supposed to represent local nature and history, as it was on the highest point perhaps it represents a star above a flower (the sky and the earth meeting) though it’s probably just a flower carved with artistic licence.

There are other wood and stone carvings in the area too, Calder Vale and Wray to name two places, some are designed by local schoolchildren and carved by local adults under instruction from stone carver Boris Howarth at Bridge House Farm or wood carver Geoff Whiteley & stone carver Phil Kennedy at Cobble Hey.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Cheers Joonsy, the rest of the stones are really good - Lapwing, Hare, a hat near the hat factory and a aa gun and plane near a ww2 gun battery. Might run around and take pics of them all!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Can't think why I never thought of it, its present near where the stone is.

I've now found this in my garden, its how I stumbled on the ID of the stone one.
9bb849f7b458476e29419e716ed30a3b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE