Plant ID (possibly Buckthorn?)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ferrion

Aug 17, 2004
Hull, Yorkshire
Hi Guys, noticed several of these bushes/Shrubs in the back yard today with berries on, Just wondered if anyone can help me ID them.

I've had a look around the net and I've come up with Common(Purging) Buckthorn as an answer, although i've not done much if any plant ID in the past, was wondering if there is a second opinion on it?

Pic Here

Cheers

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Looks like Cherry Laurel to me - don't eat the cherries they are poisonous. Dont burn it while it is green either as inhaling the smoke will make you feel very unwell.

Ferrion

Aug 17, 2004
Hull, Yorkshire
Yeah it's def Cherry Laurel, i split one of the fruit open..one large stone :)

Cheers for the help, although i now have to go forage for other berries and fruits! i was hoping i could do something with these

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Cherry laurel for sure. I read that the cherry is the only bit of the tree that isn't poisonous.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Cherry laurel for sure. I read that the cherry is the only bit of the tree that isn't poisonous.
Like the common yew (Taxus baccata) , the Cherry laurel (Prunus laurocerasus) only the outer part of the berry is edible, the seeds are poisonous (In both plants)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE