Plant ID please

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
This is growing on one of the areas I forage... White 'downy' frills off the tips and smells really nice. Been asked to ID it for a mate.

Thanks in advance.

8sp3e.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mugwort, Artemesia vulgaris.

It's a lovely plant, an old hearth herb. Burns with a white scented smoke, and is nowadays 'contra-indicated' :sigh: it used (still is in some countries) to be added to smoking mixtures.
It's the dried fluff used in Japanese incense, and the flower buds are traditionally used to flavour drinks or fatty meat.

It's a clear out insects type smoke, billowing white from dried leaves. It's not so much a spark catcher as a smouldering herb, but if tubed in birch bark and blown through it will flame.

It's a common weed around roadsides here, but I grow a plant in the garden so I have a 'clean' one. It growns over two metres high in the garden. It transplants fine from roots.

Peel the leaf fronds from the stems and dry somewhere shaded and airy. I tie them into little bunches to do this and they last very well indeed.

cheers,
M

Last edited:

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I recently transplanted some of these that were being constantly hacked back by the council mowers. Best harvested just before they flower to maximise oil content. Sacred plant of the Hekata, apparently...

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thanks Mary :)

Just chatted to him via phone about it and he asked to pass on ta... He plans to use some to freshen the underwear draw LoL!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE