Plant id help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Embarrasing to have to ask for every plant I come across I know, but I don't seem to be able to track this one down. Part of the rosaceae family I think, though that doesn't really narrow it down. It's growing in deciduous woodland clearings mixed in with bramble. No flowers yet, and I've waited until now before asking in the hope that it would. The stems seem to be canes of some sort, light green with small dark brown thorns. The leaves when young could easily be mistaken for the bramble it's growing with, but once they get older, they become much larger. The canes, which are annual, are now getting quite tall, perhaps 8 foot or so in some cases.

Apologies as ever for the poor quality images - really must get into the habit of taking the camera, even if it isn't much better!

08-07-07_1105.jpg

08-07-07_1106.jpg

Still at least I was able to recognise this fellow!

08-07-07_1113.jpg

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Could well be raspberry although it should be showing signs of fruiting now.

Could of been eaten. I had raspberry canes in my garden for three years and they fruited really poorly if they weren't pruned proberly. You can get some hybreds between raspberry and blackberry but don't know if they happen naturally. Also the blackberry is a very diverse plant. I am going with raspberry because the top branches look a bit downy.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Thanks. Raspberry was one of the ones that I was wondering about - I think, as with bramble I was getting putting off because the ones shown in the guides were only three leaves, but then the same is true of blackberry which I know also comes in three or five leaf forms. The other thing that's throwing me is that these seem to be annual, but raspberry like blackberry is a biennial. Edit: I've just come across some autumn fruiting varieties which fruit on this years canes - might also explain why they aren't yet in flower.

But thanks, yes, I've been walking past these for years without ever noticing that they weren't actually blackberry (which they are growing through). Amazing what you can see when you actually look!

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Raspberries have a 2 year cycle , the green (this years) stems will not fruit, fruit is on the brown stems that were green last year, if there are any there that havent been mowed.

The leaves look a bit funny on your pic so I am going for a hybrid of sorts perhaps run wild from a garden.

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE