Plans of making a lavoo from tarpaulin, rope and axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 6, 2013
Norway
I'm new here, 33 year old, living in Norway, and am lucky enough to have wilderness mostly all around me. But I'm living in the second biggest city (half million), so even here there's limited possibilities of wildlife.

I've been dreaming all winter about the coming summer. It's snow again today, but hopefully one of the last after a horrible winter, since the sun is starting to get warm again. So then, just like I were as a child, I'm longing into the wilderness again. But previously I've had tents and the discomfort about having to make a fireplace outside, as well as having to carry enormously amounts of supplies just for a week in untouched wilderness with no cellphone-coverage and the isolation from civilization that more then anything makes me at peace with myself and waking up instincts that normally sleeps, that make me feel so strong I feel can hurl a boulder across a mountain. So I want more of that, and for a longer period.

And I've thought of a permanent camp somewhere where I can spend as much time I want before winter come back again, just long enough away to make me forget civilization exist, a place with water nearby, a place to catch fish, and most of all to just enjoy life. Somewhere I could go get supplies not far away and bring it to the same spot, where I plan to put up a semi-permanent lavvo (native Scandinavian "tipi"). And I've figured out I don't have to spend a fortune on equipment on factory made "lavvo"'s, and instead I can just make it myself. So I've bought 8x12 meters of green tarpaulin and over 100 meters of rope, and I got axe, knife and other tools to make the job possible. And I'm thinking all I need is to find a spot where people are unlikely to be notice me or come across my camp, also with water, and a place to fish nearby would be nice. The only thing I'm wondering though is the tarpaulin, because it is waterproof, with metal-ring holes to use for ropes. But it don't seem to be fire-resistant, in fact it might be flammable. So I was wondering if there's some kind of spray or similar to use on the inside, or other things I can do to make the lavvo fireproof? Cause I don't want to spend days or weeks putting up a camp, and then the first thing that happens is the whole thing burning down when I start a fire inside. So I've been considering things like peat and branches to cover the wooden frame, and then covering it with the tarpaulin. Also to cover the fireplace with a flat stone above it, so that sparks don't fly everywhere and melts through the cover. But I'd really prefer just a simple woodenpole based scructure with covering and "tent-plugs" of wood. As simple as possible, just that it don't burn down. Also

So if anyone got tips about this, I'd be happy if you got the time to write some words to make it more simple.:hatscarf:

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Your tarp is plenty big enough for a self made lavvu.
Fire should not be an issue as long as you don`t burn spruce wood.

I have a Venor lavvu (poly/cotton) and use open fire in it regularely. I have no problem with sparks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE