Plans for Rosehip season?

Hathor

May 3, 2008
Prague
The rosehips are ripening nicely near where I live...

I was wondering if anyone had any plans for rosehip this year?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pared a load and dried them today :D

Topped and tailed a batch last week and layered them with sugar to make syrup.......looks and tastes brilliant and it's still got a three weeks to go before I strain it :D

Started another collection to try with gin this year since the sloes seem to be pretty scarce. Only got a small bowlful so far though.

The seeds are rich in oil......I'm tempted to try scraping a pile out and crushing them and seeing how well they burn; also, since fire will burn off the irritant hairs I'm wondering if they could be fire roasted and then munched :dunno: anyone got any idea if this would work ?

cheers,
Toddy

Second that on the sloe Toddy I checked my trees out and I only managed to spot one , i was wondering if the farmer had cut them back while in flower or something ?

Lots of rosehips though I will be making some more syrup this year. No idea about the seeds be interesting to see how you get on with those.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I haven't checked my sloes this year, although I have some sloe vodka on the go at the moment with sloes from last year. They were in the freezer, I never got round to doing them! I had my first taste test today, that clip from The Great Escape came to mind:

great_escape_649w.jpg

Wow!​

:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE