Plans for building a sledge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You`re forgetting it`ll all be gone again tomorrow :(

You can`t beat a truck tyre inner tube for sledging though, just make sure there`s something at the bottom to slow you down :D Or you`ll end up with a broken collar bone, broken wrist and a fractured radius when you collide with a dry stone wall :puppy_dog

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I remember being given one of the old fashioned metal and wooden sledges as a kid. It went so much faster than the cheap eighties plastic ones I was terrified!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Sort of weird the times printing sledge plans :confused:
Did any one try using a plastic fertiliser sack stuffed with hay, that thing goes fast. I remember one winter we built our version of the cresta run with banked bends down a steep hill and so forth. We actually preferred flying off the corners at speed and doing spectacular stunt falls to show off LOL That same winter the pond at the bottom end of the school playing fields froze over and we played an impromptu version of ice hockey (more like sedgefield soccer really :lmao: ), we used a big rubber ring as a puck. No one fell through the ice, no nancy pamby teachers interfered on "safety grounds" It was just good harmless fun, still remember it now!

Draven - I got a copy of the catalogue from some C&H exhibition from a cheap bookshop for about £3 a few years back - I have a quick flick through from time to time. It's lovely to get a quick reminder.
The book has the original black and white and colour versions of the ones in it - and also includes the throwaway title strip that most papers never published. Some of those titles make the actual story even funnier.

It really was a wonderful strip.

Every autumn I enjoy a bit of *shoof* *shoof* through the leaves. Some people give you funny looks, but there's nothing quite like it. :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Didn't try fertiliser bags,
But I recall trying a large square of plastic from around cheap carpets. About a dozen of us would take turns to paddle it down the slopes, trying to push one another off - those who got ejected would run to catch up and dive back on knocking others off.

Kind of supprising I don't remember anyone getting injured.

ATB

Ogri the trog

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
Sort of weird the times printing sledge plans :confused:
Did any one try using a plastic fertiliser sack stuffed with hay, that thing goes fast. I remember one winter we built our version of the cresta run with banked bends down a steep hill and so forth. We actually preferred flying off the corners at speed and doing spectacular stunt falls to show off LOL That same winter the pond at the bottom end of the school playing fields froze over and we played an impromptu version of ice hockey (more like sedgefield soccer really :lmao: ), we used a big rubber ring as a puck. No one fell through the ice, no nancy pamby teachers interfered on "safety grounds" It was just good harmless fun, still remember it now!

Rubble bags were our favourite - no padding though (better control that way!!) and the two frozen raised farm tracks at the bottom of the hill provided a small jump which hurt badly on landing although by the time you got back to the top again you had forgotten the pain waiting fore you at the bottom:D

I got flattened by a few lads on a big plastic sheet at a local golf course - bruised my shoulder joint pretty badly and couldn't move it.
Had just over a month of physio on that.

Somewhat strangely I broke my collar bone just a few yards away on a mountain bike years later. Funny that (if you count seething pain, difficulty breathing, walking over a mile to get help and not letting the nurse cut my favourite teeshirt off so enduring even more severe pain as fun)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Draven - I got a copy of the catalogue from some C&H exhibition from a cheap bookshop for about £3 a few years back - I have a quick flick through from time to time. It's lovely to get a quick reminder.
The book has the original black and white and colour versions of the ones in it - and also includes the throwaway title strip that most papers never published. Some of those titles make the actual story even funnier.

It really was a wonderful strip.

Every autumn I enjoy a bit of *shoof* *shoof* through the leaves. Some people give you funny looks, but there's nothing quite like it. :D

Ahhhhh I recall the shoof-shoofing well :) Great fun - I remember when I first read the "Yukon ho!" story, after preparing my backpack with mars bars and a squirt-gun and sharpening my penknife on a bit of slate, asking my mother how to get to the Yukon from Skye :eek: Also borrowed Calvin's idea of keeping a snowball in the freezer til summer ;)

Also recall me and my brother trying to make snowboards out of leftover wood from flooring the kitchen - cut to shape with a coping saw and waxed with a candlestick! I'll tell ya, if I really thought, after barely managing to stay on the board as I went down a hill and towards the septic tank (with a handy 2m drop off the end :D ), that I'd be able to clear the nettle patch, I was mistaken :eek:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I remember using fertiliser bags for sledding when I was a groundsman down in Dartford. The slide was like ice and gawd did we end up with bruises. Mind you that could also be because we went roaring round the sportsfield on the tractor towing each other on a 4'x4' piecce of plywood like a waterboard. It a superb couple days fun :D

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I was put off sledging when I went down a pennine hill on a plastic one and bounced off a small bump into the air. I landed on my tailbone but something in the small of my back felt like it exploded. I could stand up for half an hour and it took 6 months to heal fully. Don't know what I did I didnt go to the doctors. I suspect I ruptured a disk or something!
Incidentally my aunt slipped on the ice and went to hospital they told her she had fractured her spine but NOT recently, it was an old injury. She`s been walking round with a broken back for god knows how many years and doesnt remember doing it!

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Thanks for the plans ill add to my todo list, ive my eye on the discarded pallets at work for fire wood, and have been considering them for other uses, i think the sledge would be ideal as some are almost half made with the slats, minor alterations and your away.

below are some links to other pallet recycling ideas i found for anyone that's interested.

coffee-table.jpg

source: http://en.espritcabane.com/furniture-plans/pallet-coffee-table.php

palletgardentable2.jpg

source: http://www.homegrownevolution.com/2009/01/make-garden-work-table-from-pallet.html

3087409297_b50627975e_m.jpg

source: http://blog.holyscraphotsprings.com/2008/12/pallet-chair.html

4484e.png

source: http://www.plentymag.com/features/2008/05/diy_birdhouse.php

not bad for scrap wood, really.
stoo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE