Planning (scenario)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
OK, these scenarios seem popular, so here's another one I think you'll find interesting.

You and three other buddies decide to do a 4-day trip into an area (for the sake of this scenario I'll say Dartmoor in summer but you are free to vary this). You want to take minimal kit.

Walk me through the planning you'd do as a run up to this kind of trip.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

When I plan a trip, on more than 2 days, i'll first find a map and study the area. I have pencil, paper, mini-compass and the map on the table I'm sitting at. I find out if I'll carry a stove or make meals over fire. Etc. etc. etc.
All details are being studyed. (Usually my dad helps me a little) :biggthump

Then i find out what clothes, I'll be wearing. How are the typical weather and what am I going to have in the pockets. Then all the gear get's on stage. Everything is layed out on the floor and systematically, I check every single piece of kit. Think's a lot of scenarios through that could happen. :wink:

Tries the backpack with everything in it. If it fits, we're set to go. I usually walk with some cheap, but durable full leather mountain boots. Pretty heavy but tough. :wink: :)

Well, as you may have noticed, I'm perfectionist..... (love to plan things)Hehe :biggthump :biggthump

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
For any trip.

I check out the area on map pin point any points of interest then sort out dates and start times time expect back. Check the weather etc.

The comes kit food water and cooking items can be shared so that needs to be sorted out the personal kit will be the basics so thats just brought to getter sleeping gear, cutlery, lighting, map compass and water gear and then pack it all up and if there is any room left maybe some extra socks and a pull over.

I tend to plan these things to death but what we do we get there is to flow with it and relax unwind and have fun.

Part of the fun is in planning do.

James :icon_cool

leon-1

How many days have I got to plan, I tend to plan to death.

The basics;
check long range weather forecast, assess what kit is going to be needed and ensure that it is serviceable, divide up team kit to individuals, plan route to the weakest members capabilities, check to see if camping is allowed and if camp fires are allowed (affects the amount of fuel needed).

When planning the route, if it is available use local knowledge, when the route is finalized give a copy with potential timings to Parks authority or member of family.

Ensure that we know the local lines of communication (roads, communities and public telephones) some areas on Dartmoor have no mobile reception.

Continue to monitor weather reports right up to the day that you depart. Beware Dartmoor weather, I've been up there when it has snowed in summer, fog drops very quickly and sometimes with very little warning. Dartmoor seems to have its own micro-climate.

It's a bit muddled but in brief that just about covers it :) .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE