placement of roof bars on a pickup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Folks,
This year we have decided to eventually splash out on a couple of sea kayaks (so we aren't limited to kayaking around hire centres).
I have an isuzu D-max pick up with a truck man hardtop. There are no fixed roof bars, so need to buy a set of aftermarket ones (probably Thule).
My question is, due to the length of the kayaks (17") can i fix one of the roof bars on the hard top and one on the cab? or is it better to fit both bars on the main cab? Tried looking at both Truckman and Thule websites, and no answers.
Cheers
Baggins

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Personally I would have one on the cab and one on the hard top. If you have them close together on the cab with 17 foot boats you will have a lot of windage- twist effect on the boats.
Good thread over on Song of the Paddle about boats on cars.
My kayak is 17 foot which was fine on my estate car does not sit so well on present car ,206, due to the only possible placement of my current roof bars

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Funnily enough I bought my D'Max with this in mind. Mine came fitted with roof rails on the cab, and I fitted a hardtop with roof rails too. Now tying my 17' canoe to the top is really easy and only needs two straps, rather than the straps and fore & aft tie downs that I used on my previous vehicle.

Cheers, Michael.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I made some webbing straps with eyelets to go on the wing bolts under the bonnet , they fold underneath when not in use, to tie the front of the kayak down . Tied to the tow bar at the back. Just extra insurance in case of self launching on the motorway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE