Pitt Rivers museum

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Visiting Oxford? If you get a chance, pop in to the Pitt Rivers museum at the back of the university natural history museum. Along with all the shrunken heads and bric-a-brac from around the world, there is a display case full of different items used to make fire. They had various fire drills, thongs, saws, ploughs and pretty much every variant on ways to light a fire with friction. Interesting to see how the "professionals" went about it. They also had a smaller display of spark based fire starters.
The natural history museum is a great place too - well worth a visit.

Dave

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Hi dave,

The museum sounds good thanks for the tip. I will be heading up to oxford next month to visit a relative so I may just go have a look.

Does it have a website we can look at

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Its greta, went there 15 years ago for a gcse art trip. i could have spent years in there, so much cool stuff and so much of it made by peoples out of touch with western technology (as it was 100 years ago). Well worth a visit! :cussing:

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
I really like the natural history museum too. Fantastic range of fossils and minerals if you like that sort of thing. Unlike most museums they also have a selection of "Please touch" exhibits - stuffed cheetah, owls, shetland pony etc. Would be great for kids (of whatever age ;) ).
If you do go, be sure to take a look at the stone pillars as you go around - they are all made of different rock types and look really nice.
It is on a much more manageable scale than the NHM in London and admission is free.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
It's a great place to look round. All collected by one man - Mr Rivers...
Seriously varied collection. It's a little dark because they don't want to bleech everything with the lights so some kids might not like it too much. You have a tendancy to walk around a corner and be faced with a shrunken head :yikes:
There's also got some dinosor footprints outside the entrance set into the lawn. They were found very close to where I live. Kinda weird to think a dino was in my back garden !!!

Cheers

Mark

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a famous diagram that shows the various tools developing from a simple, primeval, stick. Pitt Rivers put the illustration together and I'd like a really nice copy of it. If anyone is in the Museum and comes across a print or a poster of this stick/tool diagram, and it's not going to break the bank, would you buy it for me and I'll happily re-imburse costs and p&p. Ideally I'm looking for A3 size but A4 would do....even a postcard :)

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't see it on the lists :( It's considered a bit out of step with the political correctedness of archaeology/anthropology but it just seems to be a nice straightfoward explanation. I particularly wanted a good copy as a gift for a craftsman friend.
I'll maybe try phoning the museum next week, someone there might be able to help.

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE