Pit roasted turkey?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
Just a bit of fun (unless the turkey we've ordered doesn't actually fit in our oven :eek:) but would it be possible to pit-roast a turkey using items available in a 'normal' household and has anyone actually done it? I've done a google and there's a few suggestions on there but I just wanted to see if I could get it from "the horse's mouth" (so to speak).

If I'd thought of this earlier I'd love to try this, maybe next year :)

(And a Merry Christmas to all)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I've cooked a roast chicken and all the potatos and veg in an ammo box but not a hanghi (I assume you mean a hanghi by pit roast)

You dig a rectangle pit with a shelf each side for the box to rest on, (Have the lid on the side not on top so it opens outwards and upwards) leaving a space underneath for your embers. Elongate the pit for a fire and keep stocked with burning wood. As you get the embers place underneath the ammo box in the space you've left and place a good shovel of embers on top of the box. Don't worry about times it'll never be the same for various factors just check it from time to time. When you can pull the leg off easily and all the flesh is meltingly succulent it's done.
The largest animal I've cooked in a hanghi was a wild boar when I was on exercise in Germany years ago. Me and the lads trapped a wild boar and cooked it for ages and it was still under done in parts so we ripped off the cooked bits and re-buried it to cook the rest

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE