Pirate hat design?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What Steve said :D

You can buy them in party shops for under a fiver. If you want a real one speak to one of the reenactors and they'll point you in the right direction. We paid £30 for proper wool ones, but you can buy good-enough ones for about £15.

cheers,
M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Go to your charity shop and blow £1.50 on the biggest brimmed ladies wedding hat you can, a 5 inch brim is big enough and black, dark grey or dark brown are the colours I've seen of originals. Unpick any lining and fruit until you are down to the wool felt. If your lucky it will already have a round brim. You can leave the edge raw but its better to bind it with tape. Black or white worsted wool would be best but its hard to come by so a yard or so of cotton tape will do fine.

Get a piece of scrap linen and make a lining, you just need a narrow oblong, sew a tunnel on one long side to take a tape draw string and sew it into place so it looks like this when folded in.

imagejpg2_zpsec48e66a.jpg

You then need to iron the brim flat, some spray starch helps a lot here. When the brims stiff fold it back and tack each side to the domed part with a couple of big stitches that cross over.
imagejpg1_zps69d229db.jpg

Total cost for that one was under two quid. You can get wool felt hat blanks from a shop in Oldham for 8 quid each, herself got me two and I'm looking for a lump of wood to turn a 8" diameter hat block before I do a couple for myself. Back before the mid 19th c hat blocks were round not oval (head shaped). I think fur felt blanks are about £25 from them.

theres many variations / styles but if you can make one. You can pretty much do them all.

if you need some linen for the lining and tape for the draw cord let us know.

ATB

tom

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Go to your charity shop and blow £1.50 on the biggest brimmed ladies wedding hat you can, a 5 inch brim is big enough and black, dark grey or dark brown are the colours I've seen of originals. Unpick any lining and fruit until you are down to the wool felt. If your lucky it will already have a round brim. You can leave the edge raw but its better to bind it with tape. Black or white worsted wool would be best but its hard to come by so a yard or so of cotton tape will do fine.

Get a piece of scrap linen and make a lining, you just need a narrow oblong, sew a tunnel on one long side to take a tape draw string and sew it into place so it looks like this when folded in.

imagejpg2_zpsec48e66a.jpg

You then need to iron the brim flat, some spray starch helps a lot here. When the brims stiff fold it back and tack each side to the domed part with a couple of big stitches that cross over.
imagejpg1_zps69d229db.jpg

Total cost for that one was under two quid. You can get wool felt hat blanks from a shop in Oldham for 8 quid each, herself got me two and I'm looking for a lump of wood to turn a 8" diameter hat block before I do a couple for myself. Back before the mid 19th c hat blocks were round not oval (head shaped). I think fur felt blanks are about £25 from them.

theres many variations / styles but if you can make one. You can pretty much do them all.

if you need some linen for the lining and tape for the draw cord let us know.

ATB

tom

Great stuff - much nicer than the ones I made for our theatre (I did not bother with a lining) but the source hat was just the same :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Since the lovely folk at Wyedean Weaving Company over in Haworth have incredibly kindly supplied me with enough 1.5 inch wide worsted wool to do the two hat blanks I have would folk like a Tutorial? Not so much to make a three cornered hat but to turn a wool hat blank into a preacher/Van Helsing/mountain man/pilgrim wide brimmed hat that would be of practical use. If for what ever reasons you want to turn it into a tricorne or want to feed your Napoleon complex with a bicorne that's your and your therapists concern not ours....

atb

Tom

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Since the lovely folk at Wyedean Weaving Company over in Haworth have incredibly kindly supplied me with enough 1.5 inch wide worsted wool to do the two hat blanks I have would folk like a Tutorial? Not so much to make a three cornered hat but to turn a wool hat blank into a preacher/Van Helsing/mountain man/pilgrim wide brimmed hat that would be of practical use. If for what ever reasons you want to turn it into a tricorne or want to feed your Napoleon complex with a bicorne that's your and your therapists concern not ours....

atb

Tom

Yes please... I may not ever make one but I'd enjoy seeing the process to do so :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cool. Just aranging for wood to make a block with. Where I can i will also make reference to modern ways of doing it like carving a laminated block of that thick pink builders foam sheet insted of messing about on a lathe making the block.

There will now be the traditional pause while I get the bits I need together

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Even better prices!

Baby slings? Not something to contemplate after putting down a book on Roman siege engines like I just did, you jump to a completely wrong image.

atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE