Pipe-Hawk or Trail Hawk???

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Hey guys and girls, as the title says I'm looking to get a cold steel Tomahawk but can't decide out of the two.
I intend to use it as a fun mod project and throwing more than for use on wood work.

Any input on your experiences with either/both wiould be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jon

P.S. Sorry if this has been covered before or I have put this in the wrong section!

I bought the trail hawk but haven't used it much really. Its a good tool and easily modded.

Looked at the pipe hawk as I liked the aesthetics but its a wee bit heavier than the trail hawk. Not sure how this will affect it when throwing though.

Chris

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Visually I like a modded pipe hawk but for practical use I prefer the trail hawk.

That's mainly because I happen to be one of the world's worst axe throwers and the trail hawk is a little more robust - an important consideration when you're as bad at throwing them as I am...

:D

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
neither get one of these :D

Lees_Hawk02.jpg

I'm sure Biker will be along in a minute ;)

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Visually I like a modded pipe hawk but for practical use I prefer the trail hawk.

That's mainly because I happen to be one of the world's worst axe throwers and the trail hawk is a little more robust - an important consideration when you're as bad at throwing them as I am...

:D

yea I agree, from what I have seen i like the pipe hawk more but like you mentioned I'm worried that after the inevitable mis-throws the pipe hawk might be weaker. I use to be reasonable but I hav'nt throw a hawk for about 8 years! I still have 1 very similar to the one in corso's pic which is in need of a new handle(which is on order) but have some spare time at the moment and fancied a little project to help fill the time! :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I did look at the spike hawk but not to sure on the aesthetics as a project! am sure it would make a good thrower though! :)

ah you're buying it to modify? are the throwing axes strong enough to use around the camp?

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Ive got both I dont think you will break either of them :)
The pipe hawks got a solid bowl so it shouldn't get easily damaged :)

cheers Russ

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
are the throwing axes strong enough to use around the camp?

More than strong enough, very tough axes actually. Differentially heat treated plus only a medium carbon steel. Heat treated proper = tough axe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE