Pins

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I'm finally getting round to putting a handle on a blade I've had a for a while but I need some pins. Where is the best place to get a couple of 5mm pins - Brass rod would do, mosaics would be nice but I'm not fussy. Tried B&Q and they only had 4 or 6mm rods. I also need a 1/4 tube for a lanyard hole or a 1/4 rod to fill it :)

Cheers

Matt

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
HI mate I make my own pins. It's dead easy.

You can get brass tube and rod from a model shop (they have sized stuff in a display stand that fits together well - in brass, copper and ally), and they usually let you fiddle with them until you find a combo you like (i like to make up complex patterns). Then I get a baby's medicine syringe from boots and a piece of aquarium hose.

Mix up some slow set epxoy (the 2 hour stuff from the pound shop is just great!! - leave it on the radiator to warm up and go runny) then mix in some black (usually) airfix paint. Suck this up into the syringe, attach the aquarium tube to the syringe, and onto the brass tube, and slowly force the gear through the tube, allowing plenty to drip out the end. I then seal the ends with clingfilm and leave it on a radiator over night. Veolia mosaic pin stock on the cheap.

Good luck.

Chris

P.S if you can get away with smaller than 5mm, I have about a foot of stock that is not filled with epoxy that i could send you a bit of.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I made some of these following a tutorial on here, ridiculously easy, good fun and very satisfying. Got the bits I didn't have from a local model shop as per wastoids post. I mixed it up in a Mr Kiplings apple pie aluminium thing and then sooked it up through the pin (make sure you use clear tubing and stop at the right time!! :yuck:)

Mick Wardell is a good seller, bought from him before with no issues.

Cheers,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE