Pine Marten den?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SoggyBiscuit

Jul 30, 2014
Scotland
I've found a potential Pine Marten den in a hollow Ash tree. I'm not 100% but something has certainly been coming and going from the tree. I've seen Pine Marten in the area and there has been sign in the immediate vicinity. Having said that there are a lot of hollow trees in the woodland around about as well as other potential den sites. If I had a trail cam I'd rig it up but unfortunately I don't own one so thinking of watching the tree one evening just out of curiosity.

DSCF1669.jpg

DSCF1541.jpg

Does anyone know.... when they set up a den in a hollow tree is there anything in particular they look for when choosing the site?

SoggyBiscuit

Jul 30, 2014
Scotland
I meant borrow one.

Someone I know might have one, I'll have to ask. It's funny.... a few weeks back I had an ideal opportunity to photograph one up in the fork of a tree near this spot but never had a camera with me. Typical! Missed a cracking opportunity to snap a red squirrel the other week also.... it was only a few meters away and the backdrop would have been ideal. Always the same isn't it.... you never seem to have a camera handy when you want one!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've not seen Pine Marten near here despite hearsay evidence of them, but there are Polecats if you know where to look. They are extraordinarily shy of human attention so I only get to catch the odd brief sighting, but worth the time and trouble as I've always had a particular soft spot for all of the Mustelidae. The big give away for an active den is the distinct musty smell - there's no mistaking that particular scent! :)

SoggyBiscuit

Jul 30, 2014
Scotland
Now that is cool.

SoggyBiscuit, why don't you put up a shout out for the loan of a trailcam. I'm sure someone here could help.

I never thought to ask but I know a few people who probably will have one I could borrow. I'm going to try and get one before the weekend so I can put it out Friday/Saturday night. If I get anything I'll post it up. Should be interesting as there is plenty of animal activity in that area.... I'd be surprised if nothing triggered the trailcam. Cheers Jonathan!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE