Pine cough syrup.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Not sure if this is common knowlege or not. But I thought I would share with you how we made (anti) cough syrup when I grew up in poland.

In spring , collect a handful of the pine buds. not sure the correct terminology, the little buds/flowers that begin to form on pine tree branches.

simply throw them into a jar, add sugar, and leave for a month or 6.

You will see a golden syrup forming at the bottom. Tastes great and treats coughs and sore throats.

if this is common knolege within bushcraft community I appologise for wasting your time.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats fascinating - I am sitting here right now making elderberry tincture - so I have an interest in herbal remedies.

Is any liquid required for this syrup?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its got documented anti viral properties. Sweetened and taken three times a day it is supposed to ward off / reduce duration & severity of coughs and colds.

Either way its fruit booze :)

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hi sorry for late reply.

No liquids needed. just the pine buds and some sugar. We normally got a normal sized jar and filled it a quarter, with buds. we threw in the odd pine needle for kicks. then just add 2 tea spoons of sugar (i dont know the exact measures here) and leave it.

as soon as liquid starts to form at the bottom u can use it. the longer u leave it the more liquid will form.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know this as pine honey, and it's one of the antibacterial decongestants and throat soothers :) I admit I use more sugar though, I make it like rhubarb, 'just' covered with sugar. It's very good for colds and sinus congestion.
If folks can take liquorice, some fresh root or a tspoonful of tincture added when the honey has seeped, adds a kind of ease to the throat when the cough has been harsh, though the pine itself reduces inflamation.

When out and feeling the onset of a cold or sore throat, even bronchitis, then freshly made, strong, pine tea is very good.
It's perhaps worth noting that the buds are richer tasting than the needles that most of the books rave about.

Thanks for posting your recipe MSkiba :D :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There was an Elderberry cough (brittle type) sweet made on 'Grow your own drugs'. Perhaps a recipe for the tinture Mr Red? (please :))

Equal volumes of cheap vodka and ripe elderberries Mang. Then prepare as sloe gin - agitating regularly for 3 months. Sweeten to taste with honey dissolved in water.

Simple, and keeps indefinitely.

Dosage is one tsp four times a day - but clearly not if driving!

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Thanks toddy!! No idea it was called Pine honey, makes sense now i think about it.

I think your right, more sugar is needed than just 2 tea spoons. last time I made it was 1987!

I was out camping this weekend and had the flu big time stylie. Pine tea helped I must say :) just a shame I was so bunged up I coudnt taste anything :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE