pimping my frosts clipper. work in progress.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
as some of you may know frosts are a top scandinavian knife maker,one of their range is the clipper,it comes with a very usefull but nasty on the eye handle made of plastic and rubber and an equally nasty plastic sheath!
untitled.jpg

so oday i started the job of giving it a nice handle,i looked in the work shop and there was a piece of mahogany with a rather fine grain on it,i knew streight away this was gonna be the new handle! as the blade is a short tang i cut the wood down the middle and carved out the exact shape of the tang for it to nestle in perfectly. heres a few pics of the work so far :
DSC00611.jpg

DSC00610.jpg

thanks for looking.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Looks like it'll make a fine handle that. I like the idea, but I often worry that when folk do this, the tang isn't so long and therefore the handle could be weak. I suppose for everyday applications it won't matter, but battoning could cause it to fail. Are you gonna pin it through the short tang?

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Looks like it'll make a fine handle that. I like the idea, but I often worry that when folk do this, the tang isn't so long and therefore the handle could be weak. I suppose for everyday applications it won't matter, but battoning could cause it to fail. Are you gonna pin it through the short tang?

thats actually a good idea! i know the limitations of the stick tangs,personally all my working knives are full tang.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice work fella, good choice in wood also, should be plenty strong enough for most tasks, now just the sheath to do.:You_Rock_

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
thanks chaps,and yes brass pins and a nice brass lanyard hole! as for the sheath ime a dab hand at the leather stuff!

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
moraxrayga6.jpg

Mora X-ray,s.

I had a #1 that my puppy got ahold of and chewed up the wood handle. I gave it a new handle in stacked leather and black cow horn bolsters. This was my first leather handle. It turned out a little bulky bit I can always sand it down a bit and refinish.

I used the original sheath as a liner inside the traditional leather sheath I made for it. I use this knife as my wood carver now.

img2114ih0.jpg

Mac

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
i like that mac!

heres an update,lastnight i carved the handle with a craft knife and then sanded,ime not going to pin this one,ive used 2 tonne epoxy and ime confident its a tough knife,later ille try and find my danish oil.

DSC00620_edited-1.jpg

DSC00621_edited-1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE