Pimp My Firesteel - Part Deux.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

After the success of the firesteel blank group buy that I have just organised I thought it would be fun to start a “Pimp My Firesteel Part - Deux” competition. I know this has been done before, so thanks to British Red for allowing me to use the theme ;)

I have had a prize kindly donated by Cam of www.firesteel.co.uk who supplied the blanks for the group buy. :D

I suggest the same rules as per British Red’s thread but with different dates: -

“Closing date for entrants is the end of March (23:59 on 31/03/07). Each entry must be a single photograph showing the firesteel in question. The firesteel must have a custom or adapted handle and be the work of the entrant (any other form of customisation are fine - cases etc. but all the work must be done by the entrant).

Multiple entries are fine, but each entry must be a different firesteel

Only entries made on this thread will count to the competition. Competition is open to anybody not just members of the group buy.”

If there are lots of entries I guess we will need to have several polls to whittle down the entries to a final poll – probably have to iron this out as we go!

The winner will receive FIREPISTON KIT details as per Cam’s website: -

“THE FIREPISTON - Fire by compression
Air gets very hot when it is compressed under high pressure. A classic example would be the heat that is created when you use a bike pump, and the diesel engine. When the air is compressed in a firepiston it is done so quickly and efficiently that it can reach a temperature in excess of 800 degrees Fahrenheit. This is hot enough to ignite the tinder at the end of the piston. The idea is thought to have come from Southeast Asia, and it is feasible that the principal was discovered whilst making blowpipes from bamboo.
These firepistons have a brass tube epoxied into a hardwood casing.
The kit comes with:- The piston, a supply of char biscuits, shredded cedar bark, a tinder box, spare rubber seals, cleaning stick and a pot of grease.” Further details here http://www.firesteel.co.uk/firepiston.htm

Here is a picture of the kit the winner will receive: -

pimp_prize_1.jpg

pimp_prize_2.jpg

Have fun and get cracking!! :cool:

Any questions please post to this thread and check this initial post for alterations or further explanations and of course the pictures!!

Cheers,

Phil.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Do enterants have to have bought the fire stele in the group buy?

If not, count me in!

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
Too Much Kit To Carry said:

After the success of the firesteel blank group buy that I have just organised I thought it would be fun to start a “Pimp My Firesteel Part - Deux” competition. I know this has been done before, so thanks to British Red for allowing me to use the theme ;)

I have had a prize kindly donated by Cam of www.firesteel.co.uk who supplied the blanks for the group buy. :D

I suggest the same rules as per British Red’s thread but with different dates: -

“Closing date for entrants is the end of March (23:59 on 31/03/07). Each entry must be a single photograph showing the firesteel in question. The firesteel must have a custom or adapted handle and be the work of the entrant (any other form of customisation are fine - cases etc. but all the work must be done by the entrant).

Multiple entries are fine, but each entry must be a different firesteel

Only entries made on this thread will count to the competition. Competition is open to anybody not just members of the group buy.”

If there are lots of entries I guess we will need to have several polls to whittle down the entries to a final poll – probably have to iron this out as we go!

The winner will receive FIREPISTON KIT details as per Cam’s website: -

“THE FIREPISTON - Fire by compression
Air gets very hot when it is compressed under high pressure. A classic example would be the heat that is created when you use a bike pump, and the diesel engine. When the air is compressed in a firepiston it is done so quickly and efficiently that it can reach a temperature in excess of 800 degrees Fahrenheit. This is hot enough to ignite the tinder at the end of the piston. The idea is thought to have come from Southeast Asia, and it is feasible that the principal was discovered whilst making blowpipes from bamboo.
These firepistons have a brass tube epoxied into a hardwood casing.
The kit comes with:- The piston, a supply of char biscuits, shredded cedar bark, a tinder box, spare rubber seals, cleaning stick and a pot of grease.” Further details here http://www.firesteel.co.uk/firepiston.htm

Here is a picture of the kit the winner will receive: -

pimp_prize_1.jpg

pimp_prize_2.jpg

Have fun and get cracking!! :cool:

Any questions please post to this thread and check this initial post for alterations or further explanations and of course the pictures!!

Cheers,

Phil.
Is that a pot of humus in the pic :confused:

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
First pimped firesteel by me!

I like practical, so here's one with a watertight storage handle. Note that the handle can be cut down to whatever size is wanted; I'll probably cut it down to about half what it is to make it more packable on a sheath. Or just do another one smaller.

Handy for tinder, striker, matches (cheat!), whatever.

More to follow when I get time.

Rick.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Here goes then. Pictures for the first time.

This one is of two Papooses. One wood and one Antler

416822390_7a70947b32.jpg

Opened up

416822391_b61dc27338.jpg

The three large steels are from the group buy. The smaller ones are necklaces reworked from Ranger Firesteels.

416822392_c49c562100.jpg

This one I made up a few weeks ago along with the sheath for my Opinel

416822393_daf662d3bd.jpg

Finally a broken Ranger Firesteel attached to a Pine handle (stained) for one of my Antler Char tubes.

416822396_33d95a9419.jpg

Had fun making these Phil so thanks again for the group buy. All of these steels will be used by cadets on D of E Bushcraft weekends.

George

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Here are my attempts. First one I made the day my firesteels came in. Nothing special just wrapped with 16 feet of OD Green paracord and add a snap hook:

2h5ob5x.jpg

Then I got a little more imaginative. I couldn't find the right pvc fittings so I used brass. It's a little heavier than I would like but it is stout.

2ekhsfq.jpg

2v1nuh4.jpg

43phemw.jpg

If I take the split ring off I can screw in into the top.

33wwg91.jpg

4059qv6.jpg

483trg5.jpg

As you can see I can store a few other items. I added some stainless steel fishing hooks and steel split shop(environmentally friendly :D ) and a couple of cotton balls. I may add some fishing line to it as well. The only problem I had is I used the wrong glue for the firesteel. I am going to redo it using a metal epoxy type to hold it more securely.

And there you have it. Hope ya'll like it. I will be trying it out in a couple of weeks as my family will be going camping.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Are they just normal pipe fittings? It looks like a pretty nifty design and I'd love to see a tutorial. It looks like it could be a nice match safe or key ring kit with a bit of playing.
(p.s. WooHoo, post 400!)

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Cheers Kevin. Glad you liked them.

Will bring them along on the weekend. You can have one if you like (am attached to the Opinel one though).

Madrussian

Like the Brass holder concept. PVC would be lighter but no where near as classy as the Brass. You have me thinking.

George

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
madrussian said:
Thanks. I went for something quick and easy. I like the style of yours. Alot more workmanship invovled. More bushcrafty then I. :D Time is not something I have alot of. :(

Same for myself mate. Working with the Antler is fairly easy and fast. Mind you the wooden papoose took the longest but even that was done within an hour.

I like your idea as it incorporates additional items. My next one will be along your lines but as yet I do not know what I will use. Will need to see what is in the garage.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Well I’ve finished my first ever fire steel (thanks for the group by TMKTC)

I probably wouldn’t have entered this except its my first attempt ever so I’m quite pleased with myself :eek: .

The handle is New Zealand Kauri, that I picked up when I was over there 10 yrs ago and its been lying in a drawer ever since waiting on me coming up with a project for it.

I made the handle quite big so I can’t lose it and so it is easy to grip even when your hands are cold etc.

firepreoil.jpg

Pre oiled

hand.jpg

Finished :cool:

The wood is fairly soft so was easy to work with, I don’t know how robust it will be but if I keep it oiled and dry hopefully it will survive even me.

Now I’ve only got four more to do :eek: .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE