pike fishing hook from Ray Mears Arctic Sweden

I want to know what the hooks are called that he used to catch the pike as they seemed as an emergency kind of speed hook and are they available to buy by the public or are they only for military survival kits? and if they are available to buy does someone have a link for me thanks...

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
I used to know them as Pike Sisscors (sp) as far as i recall they are illegal to use in the UK unless in dire need, i don't know of any suppliers in the UK however they are freely available in scandinavia, i saw some the last time i was in finland and almost got some, they are not expensive,
perhaps you could ask one of the forum members who lives in the scandinavian region to send you some? or perhaps ebay might be a good bet.

best regards
steve

just noticed that you are in canada, so comments about illegality in the UK don't apply. best luck with your search
sc

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
You can also buy them at speedhook.com.
http://www.speedhook.com/servlet/StoreFront
milspeedhooka1.JPG

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Pike scissors and speed hooks are different products ddokkum.

this is the pike scissors I think folks mean http://www.vargnappet.se/gaddsax.htm.

Both the scissors and speed hook are illegal as far as I know. (quite right too in my opinion. Totally unsporting) And the Pike scissors are particularly vicious to the fish. I'd only use either in a survival situation when being sporting is so much on the agenda

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
The pike scissors are legal (here in the kingdom of sa-wee-den) for commercial fishing (or if your fishing with support in the indivdual fishing right, i.e. in waters you own), but not for recreational fishing. They are however legal to buy, own and carry. Don't know about export outside of the european union. I think they still is legal for the public to use on the Åland islands though (small archipelago between Finland and Sweden). Maybe I dreamt this, but I think so.

You could try contacting www.fiskehornan.com (the fishing corner), go to webshop - vinterfiske (winterfishing) - gäddsax (pikescissors). Or just send them an email (info (at) fiskehornan.com). Most swedes speak or at least writes/reads half-decent english. Or just google for 'gäddsax', a number of companies appears to be selling them. Never bought one online.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE