Pictures and photos: how do I post them? (tutorial)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Max. pic size: 600x600 px

I want to post a picture / photo, but no matter what I do it's not working.

Before we start, make sure you have enabled your Editor Toolbar.

1. Click here, to go to your user controlpanel (User CP).
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/usercp.php
2. Scroll down to the bottom, 'till you see 'Miscellaneous Options'
3. Under 'Message Editor Interface' tick the box saying 'Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls'.
4. Click 'Save changes' at the bottom right.

Now we've checked the toolbar is activated:

1. Go to the / create a thread you want to add a picture.

2. Scroll down to the Quick Reply box (or Advanced, or the New Thread).
1Quickreply.png

3. You'll find a load of buttons at the top of the box. If there aren't any - scroll up and activate them with the instructions given in the quote above.

4. Find this little image button
2Imageicon.png

5. Click it, you'll see a pop up.
3InsertImagefromcomputer.png

Now, pay attention:

Are you a Full Member?
- Yes. See #6: you can upload pictures straight from your computer.
- No. See #13 you can NOT upload pictures straight from your computer.

6. You're a Full Member, you can use this bit of the pop up

7. Click 'Select File'

8. Select the pic from your computer you want to post

9. Click 'Open'

10. Click 'Upload Files'

11. A code, that looks like this (with a different number though) will appear in your text
(ATTACH=CONFIG]1234[/ATTACH] - I edited this code and changed the first [ for a ( to make the code visible in this post.

12. If you've done it right there'll be a picture when you preview or made your post.

Full Members: you can also use the method as described below and use a host!

==================

13. Now, you're not a Full Member. To be able to post pictures you need to have access to a Photobucket account, or other host to store your pics.

Hosts:

http://picasa.google.com
www.flickr.com
www.facebook.com: right click on the pic, select media info and copy the relevant address from the list into the url box. Click here for info. - Thank you Southey!

DO NOT USE PHOTOBUCKET - They no longer support posting photos to forums, its been big news in July 2017

DO NOT USE IMGUR - Their small print states clearly they do not want to be used to host photos for forums, July 2017 they still allow linking, but for how long...?

(drop me a PM if you know more :red:)

14. You got yourself an account (I use photobucket, so that's what I use in this 'How to').

Click 'From URL'

You'll get the following pup up:
4Insertimagefromurl.png

15. Enter the URL (location of you picture on the internet, it's own web address. Normally looks like this (in photobucket): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/ahjno/4Insertimagefromurl.png
It always ends with: .jpg or .jpeg or .png or ... (etc).

16. UNTICK the box. This is important, otherwise your pic will show up in miniature.

17. Click 'OK'

18. You'll end up with a code as described in #11.

19. Proceed with writing / posting your post / thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If you are using Flikr.

1. Pull up the picture you want to share.
  2. Click on the "Share Photo" arrow at the lower right of the black area.
  3. Select "BBCode".
  4. Choose what size you want the image to show up as.
  5. Highlight the resulting URL string, COPY and then PASTE into your forum post where you want the picture.

Fairly simple. A little more fuss than Photobucket, but you get to choose the image size, which is nice.

caswcc

May 5, 2010
kent
It says if ur a full member I should be able to upload straight from my pc ? have tried all the settings above etc... I am pretty good on a pc but this just seems so complicated .. with how easy it is to sell on Facebook etc they really need to update this system...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It says if ur a full member I should be able to upload straight from my pc ? have tried all the settings above etc... I am pretty good on a pc but this just seems so complicated .. with how easy it is to sell on Facebook etc they really need to update this system...

It really is as simple to post pictures on here from your PC as it is on Facebook.

Just click on the Picture Icon that's indicated by the red arrow

tut 5.jpg

You'll get the 'Insert Image' box appear

tut 9.jpg

If you're uploading from your pc then make sure you have hit the 'From Computer'

Select the file from your pc by clicking on 'Browse' and once you've done that then hit 'Upload File(s)' and your picture will be uploaded.

simples.jpg

caswcc

May 5, 2010
kent
was doing all that but nothing showed up on the post when It finished uploading.. and could only select 1 image ?

caswcc

May 5, 2010
kent
Managed to upload one picture today but after that just doesn't show on the post.. the one that worked showed on the post as I was writing it.. the rest I have tried just don't work.. is there a limit on picture size ? also could only select 1 image at a time.. help.. have loads to sell but just not working...

R.G. Barjey

Nov 19, 2010
Somerset
Well .. nothing worked for me.
I have hundreds of photos to share. If someone can sort mine out please do.
I can change my password after.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Managed to upload one picture today but after that just doesn't show on the post.. the one that worked showed on the post as I was writing it.. the rest I have tried just don't work.. is there a limit on picture size ? also could only select 1 image at a time.. help.. have loads to sell but just not working...
Well .. nothing worked for me.
I have hundreds of photos to share. If someone can sort mine out please do.
I can change my password after.

All the instructions here relate to uploading pictures on the old forum site.

You'll have to have a bit of patience and let the mods and admin update them to relate to posting pictures on the new site

Reactions: R.G. Barjey

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
IMG_0069_zps31dwesdb.jpg

Seems ok to me. And this is a Photobucket pic!

You'll need to load your pics to a hosting site, don't use Photobucket though, they are responsible for ruining many forums and blogs. Mine still works, and I'm a lazy bugger so haven't changed to another site. Postimage.org is recommended, and many still use Flickr though I read they may also stop hosting 3rd party images.

When you've copied your image URL, tap the button above your message box, to the right of the smilie, looks like a photo. Paste the URL into the box and you're done.

I'm fairly sure most forums don't have the bandwidth needed to host a gallery, hence the need for second party hosting.

My biggest gripe is seeing some of my knife pics that were saved to a much older and deleted Photobucket account still appear in Google image searches. So much for not hosting to third parties. :mad::mad::mad:

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
I post all my photos via my iPad or phone through Tapatalk....simply click on the photo icon and it takes you directly on to your photo gallery then insert the chosen images.....simples!

Thanks,
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I have just found out after years of using Flickr a nice easy way to insert Flickr pictures. IIRC Flickr terms (although not sure if they were ever inforced) meant that you had to be able to click on the picture and then it would take you back to Flickr.

Go to your picture on Flickr, click on the bendy arrow in the bottom right and then choose BBcode. Copy and paste the link

test by Leaky5, on Flickr

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE