Pics from recent journey.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
sunsets.jpg

crossredck.jpg

plunge.jpg

smoothingit1stcamp.jpg

slashings.jpg

wilderness.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Looks like fun, but I bet those packs were heavy, still, some nice streams to cool off your feet, how long were you out for..............Jon

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
15 miles total. Only 3 the first day down to the first waterfall at the Forks which is kind of a flat area. Camped there the first night.

The next day up Breathed Mountain and Down Big Stonecoal and Rocky Point and we camped up in the red pines behind the one cliffs.

Next day after that back down to the second falls, the ones my wife is jumping off, then up the other side to the other set of cliffs for a break, and then out to the second car.

Dolly Sods Wilderness near Elkins WV USA. I always kind of debate posting pics of hikes here cause it's not the UK but figured what the heck, I enjoy all the pics of the UK that y'all post :You_Rock_

Packs weren't that heavy, but I had a new pair of leather boots that weighed a pound more than my old set and I could really tell it! I hiked several miles in my trail sandals and even on rocky ground felt better than the heavy boots. I ordered lighter shoes for my next trip. :rolleyes:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Paulfire2.jpg

Don't matter how hard you blow, you can't use wet hiking boots as tinder :lmao: :D

Looks like a lot of fun was had by all though :You_Rock_

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
I thought the water was great. Much warmer than last year same time there.

My friend Paul (thinner non bearded person) thought it was too cold, but Ms HD thought it was great!

We had been car camping 2 nights before and it was really hot and no bodies of water. Jumping in finally cooled me down, after sweating for 2 days putting my head under the waterfall really was great.

On our trip we saw six other people. 2 at the waterfall on the first night, 2 the next day passed them on the trail, and passed 2 on the trail on the last day. All the rest of the time we had it all to our selves.

When I can I try to plan to go on a Sunday Monday and Tuesday, or go the weekend before or after a holiday so as to increase the chances for solitude. :27:

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
BOD said:
Thank you for those pictures. Most refreshing! Haven't walked in a temperate forest for a long time. Please post more.

I notice you use Nordic walking poles. I think they are absolutely great. They saved my knees and allowed me to walk on mountains again.

I totally agree about the trekking poles. I got some for my wife but I thought they were kind of a gimmick. Then I noticed that she was pulling WAY ahead of me on the hills. Once I got some of my own I'm sold on them.

Maybe it is just my imagination, but I find that it takes a lot of energy to balance when you are carrying a pack and walking on those really rocky trails. The poles seem to give you just enough support to where you save that energy used to balance.

Here's a link that has some good history and info about the area:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_Sods_Wilderness

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Great pics HD. Don't be shy about posting images, I for one really enjoy 'vicarious bushcraft'.

One question; Why such a high wall of stones around the campfire? :)

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
stovie said:
One question; Why such a high wall of stones around the campfire? :)

Not really sure.

That is up on a ridge where the wind really whips so maybe to prevent the fire from blowing sparks?

Possibly to give the fire max amount of rocks to heat and radiate ?

I actually think the main reason is probably that the ring fills with charcoal and the next band of hikers raises it up one level.

I know occasionally the Forest Service and various private groups go thru the area and break up all the fire rings and disperse all the coals which is good cause when there is a lot of charcoal it absorbs water and it's hard to get a fire going.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks for posting the great pics.
Like the Lee Reeves axe too! I have one of his hatchets with an osage handle, how do you find the Nessie in use?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE