Phytophthora ramorum, keep em peeled for it.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Paganwolf said:
Check this out worth looking out for if your in the area.....Phytophthora: destructive parasitic fungi causing brown rot in plants.

..http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/WCAS-4Z5JLL

You would think that the rhodedendron not being native to this country and appearing to be one of the main hosts of the Phytophthora parasite would come under more scrutiny.

From what has been posted on this forum before we know that it is spreading quite rapidly across the country and yet no one seems to have anything to say about it being a threat to our native species by being a potential host to a parasite. :cry:

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
I agree leon, rhododendron is an absolute pest, shading out native flowers and acidifying the ground more attention needs to be payed to controlling it in this country.
Getting back on topic, last year or the year before when the original scare was publicised, my next door neighbour went out into her garden and torched everone of her' rhododndrons, saying that no matter how much she liked them she liked our native trees better, and didn't want her rhodys playing host to such a disease :super:

One of the woods i visit has a vast area of rhody under oak trees so i might go have a look at them sometime. Cheers bringing this topic back up PW

When I spent a bit of time working for the Dorset Wildlife Trust on Brownsea Island, one of the biggest jobs was ripping out rhododendron that htreatens to take over if it's not controlled. I have to say that I hate the stuff (althought the wood does burn well). If you leave a bit od root behind, it send out shoots within days. I had heard that there were plans to remove a lot of the rhody in the New Forest because of this nasty. Anyone heard anything else about it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE