Petromax cast iron pans?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Does anyone have any experience with Petroxmax cast iron? Namely their skillet frying pans?
How do they compare to others at the same price point for quality and durability, say by the likes of Lodge etc?

Thanks,
Leon

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I have a 30cm one of theirs, bought about five years ago and used four to six times a week both in the kitchen and on wood fires. It's every bit as good as any cast iron I've used and I've got quite a few Lodge and others. In fact, now I think about it, it is the one I'd least like to be without. The ergonomics of it are great, the weight just right and it got one good seaoning when new and has just developed into a really nice thing to use.

As with all my cast iron stuff I spent a good couple of hours with various flap wheels and then emery cloth to get the inside surface as smooth as possible, but I've had to do that with all my Lodge ones as well.

Highly recommended from me.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have a 30cm one of theirs, bought about five years ago and used four to six times a week both in the kitchen and on wood fires. It's every bit as good as any cast iron I've used and I've got quite a few Lodge and others. In fact, now I think about it, it is the one I'd least like to be without. The ergonomics of it are great, the weight just right and it got one good seaoning when new and has just developed into a really nice thing to use.

As with all my cast iron stuff I spent a good couple of hours with various flap wheels and then emery cloth to get the inside surface as smooth as possible, but I've had to do that with all my Lodge ones as well.

Highly recommended from me.
Lodge has the public’s eye today, but While it really is good, it’s not everything the legend would imply. I miss my grandmother’s old cast iron made by either Wagner, or Griswold. They came from the factory already smooth.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have an old Skultuna, and a couple Lodge proucts.

The Skultuna is much smoother inside, but once I created the carbon layer (proper seasoning, created by frying in oil, not the quickie job they do, which is virtually useless) in the Lodges, they work equally well.

I think most people ( nobody on this Forum, of course..) overclean cast iron, and then food sticks and get burned, so they choose to buy a new Teflon pan every couple of years, once they have eaten and digested most of the Teflon.
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE