Petroleum jelly and its use for rust prevention?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 22, 2007
Weston Super Mare
For rust prevention: When my dad used to do a lot of classic car resoration he used a lot of Vaseline on components to prevent rust, and also if parts were going to sit in a box for a while would cover them in a fine layer again, to stop them rusting in storage.

As for being toxic...I ate most of a tub when I was 7 (it was strawberry flavour) and it didn't do me any harm! The extra eye in the middle of my forhead is perfectly normal ;p

Jun 8, 2009
Smokey town
For me bushcraft is a bit like ultralight hiking and so I like things that have multiple uses. Vasoline can be used as lip balm, burn treatment, fire lighting, rust prevention, lubricating o-rings or bits of machinery and so it sounds like an ideal thing to have along!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Vaseline shouldn't be put on a burn immediately, as it can trap heat in (apparantly) but it is (apparantly) good for aftercare because it forms a seal over the burn, stopping bacteria getting in and thereby helping to stave off infection. Apparantly :) Never tried it m'self, I try not to get burned :D

Jul 14, 2009
I don't know about rust prevention, but vaseline dipped cotton balls are great for fire starting with firesteel. Always good to have a tub around. ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You don't put anything on a burn bud.!
:buttkick:

Hmmm not convinced by that - I put cold running water on burns for at least 10 minutes!

After that watergel is pretty good on mild burns - my paramedic buddy suggested it and I had a chat with a doctor buddy and he agreed - clearly not for severe burns but the old "hot billy can" moments!

Aye well I should have stated apart from water BR but I thought that was stating the obvious... :rolleyes:

On the last course I did, the instructors (paramedics) stated that nothing went on a burn except water to cool it and if you had to keep it clean, then clean plasticbject. Anything else including vaseline would be treated as a foreign object by the body and/or accelorate infection.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Curious,

Again I have had different training. Clingfilm for example as a good burn covering.

This is the Waterjel stuff I have been advised to use - having tried some (on minor burns) I have found it very soothing. Clearly its not going to resolve full thickness burns or replace proper tratement. But as a sooth to a minor but painful burn I have to say I'm impressed

http://www.waterjel.com/

I'd be interested to hear if others have tried it or have an opinion

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE