Petroleum jelly and its use for rust prevention?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!
Something I've been wondering. I've decided to use vaseline on my Enzo to prevent rust; wipes on and off easily, won't go rancid and doesn't really have much of a taste. I got the Enzo as a primary user, where carrying multiple knives is impractical, so food prep is a given.

I know that it isn't considered "toxic" since that would be on the label, and it's used for sealing burns, grazes, lip balm et cetera. However, does anyone foresee any problems with this? I've looked at a few answer sites and, as usual, some people say "It's fine, add it to your soup and you'll grow big and strong" and some people say "Looking at it the wrong way will make your heart jump out of your chest and down your throat to choke you"

Well not quite but you get the idea :D

I doubt it will be perfect for rust prevention, being quite easy to remove, but I expect it should protect within the sheath well enough while not in use (though not stored for long periods) which is my intent.

I really don't see any toxicity being an issue at all, particularly in such minute quantities; the worst I'd heard of was getting the runs from eating lumps of it. I just thought I'd check. Should be a good, inexpensive protection for blades - comes in small tins, easily pocket size, though I just smeared a rag with it and stuffed it in a mint tin. Plus side, it's flammable :D Over time it may even waterproof the inside of the sheath :p

Pete

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Blimey, is that a long euphemism!? :rolleyes: :D :eek:

Seriously, vaseline is handy stuff to have anyway and seems preferable to carrying a tin of WD40 around. beeswax might just bee a wee bit sweeter when your prepping food though.

Rob

saddler

Forager
Jun 16, 2009
Haddington, Scotland
Petroleum based products on leather??

Mmm, not remember one of the claims on the sole of the old Doc Marten boots?
OIL PETROL & ACID proof....

If such was put on boot soles, it was for a reason

Why not just use a wax based leather dressing/hide food??

Stops the air causing rust, is good to the sheath & wax aint toxic either...

Jon

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Locum - I was wondering when that was gonna start :p True, beeswax would probably be a bit less icky (for lack of a better word) but it's quite expensive and I don't imagine it would be the easiest to coat a blade with...

Saddler - the oil/petrol/acid proof statement on boots refers to the soles, because they're rubber and some rubbers will break down in those. Vaseline is quite commonly used on leather jackets to keep them soft and waterproof, with no ill effects. It may damage the finish on the sheath, but I'm not using it on the outside so no problem ;) I have leather dubbin which is great for leather, but I don't fancy eating it, the idea of that to me is even more unpleasant than the vaseline...

Pete

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
draven - I've got a considerable amount of beeswax, give me a pm and i'll post you a bit if you like.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
draven - I've got a considerable amount of beeswax, give me a pm and i'll post you a bit if you like.

Kind offer mate :D I tend to think though that I wouldn't really use it much, and I don't feel quite right accepting such an offer if it may go to waste - thanks anyway though, tis things like that which help make this site great :D Tell you what though, if I can think of something decent to trade I may drop you a PM ;)

Pete

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Why not give it a wipe with veggie or olive oil. Thats what I use on my carbon steel knives and it works a treat.

I do use that on the kitchen knife I made, but I prefer not to on this because the oil can go rancid; it's not a problem on the kitchen knife, which hasn't got a sheath, but I don't want the oil soaking into the leather and then going off. Reckon that'd be a bit unpleasant! I've never actually seen the stuff go rancid, but I don't like tempting fate!

Pete

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi Pete

You can get foodsafe oils and that, but can be quite expensive.
I just use a light olive oil as it is less yuckie than vasoline.
bob

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
They do Vaseline lip therapy balm in handy 20g pocket sized tins, 5cm dianeter 2cm deep, so it can't be that toxic. I'd go for the one with Aloe Vera and stick in in your first aid kit.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Bogman - I'm amazed this thread has stayed as clean as it is . . :p

belzeebob23 - Yeeah, that was my main reason for not looking around more conventional methods. I probably would just use cooking oil if I was using a plastic sheath rather than leather..

Glen - I really need to get a FAK together :eek: Good idea though, especially when outdoors since it should seal the wound and stop junk getting in.

Mikey - didn't really think so, but I figured Id make sure that a flesh eating virus doesn't live on the stuff or something :p

Pete

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I'd use some lanolin.

For long term storage of aircraft engine parts, lanolin used to be used. It was diluted with white spirit and generally pigmented (green) to show the component was covered. The component was dipped in and the white spirit allowed to evaporate, leaving a greasy film.

Nowadays, more modern methods are used - eg. a vapour barrier paper in the packaging.

Jim

Variant 13

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Berkshire
Vasiline is perfect mate, I use it as a finish on all leather work as it softens and protects.
You would need to consume quite a lot before it can do any damage to your intestines.
It works well as a barrier to oxygen ie rusting on carbon blades and I've used it to no detriment on my 460 year old katana when I've run out of choji oil and you can imagine how precious that is.

Also as you say, it's a great fire starter....I tend to carry some cotton impregnated with it when in the field.

Graham

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Jimford - interestingly, Lanolin is what I always suggested as well - I've never used it, but heard about its use in rust-prevention very far back indeed. The reason for going for the vaseline was that I've been getting a bit of spot rust on the edge as the sheath isn't completely dry, and it dulls it overnight - I just decided to try vaseline because it's what I had to hand, really, but I would like to try Lanolin as well.

Asa - does it involve a missing o-ring and dishes? Neither of which are what make the joke unsuitable for a family forum, just so people don't think I'm hinting too much :p

Variant 13 - cheers mate! I also carry cotton smeared with vaseline for firelighting, takes a spark great :D

Pete

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Asa - does it involve a missing o-ring and dishes? Neither of which are what make the joke unsuitable for a family forum, just so people don't think I'm hinting too much :p

It involves dishes and meeting the girlfriends parents, also about silence. Don't remember anything about a missing o-ring but It's pretty funny :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE