Petrol and Diesel Shortages

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
That was SOP at the bad ol' Soviet Union. I wonder how you inherited that?
Not me the woman interviewed for the news. I filled up like normal on Saturday just before taking the camper out for an overnighter with the family then ill probably not go up until about 2 or 3 weeks. I'm not a joiner. See a queue I'll go somewhere else. I don't need my van that much. We changed our life so we didn't use cars so much, this march. A decision made by the first lockdown and a rethink of our life.

I totally dislike this panic at the thought of no fuel and no car that led to this panic. We need less car dependency.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Not me the woman interviewed for the news.
That was intended to be a collective "you", sorry. I do have a some problems at times with the English quasi-passive.

There is a story to go with the Soviet queues:
Some selected few got to visit Helsinki. When asked about their impressions one of the first was: poor people, no queues so nothing to buy or no money. Apparently they could not decide which was it. All display windows were of course fake, there was just no way all those things could be there for all to buy.

Those were in most ways not the good old days for a lot of people in the neighboring country.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I totally dislike this panic at the thought of no fuel and no car that led to this panic. We need less car dependency.
We do. Unfortunately at this present time the economy and the way people work, live, holiday etc is based around and reliant on fossil fuels.
The currant problems with the supply chain should make more folks think about car usage but sadly I think after it is over they’ll carry on as normal. With only one or two petrol stations getting fuel out of 8/9 for this area the ‘panic’ won’t subside until people can fill up as normal.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just read that nw England is one of the worst hit areas. Doesn't seem that bad to me up here. I wonder if it's a built up/populous area issue where the density of population spreads panic quicker and more seriously?

No idea just a thought I had after seeing most of the news about shortages, panic buying and hoarding seems to be populous areas. Bias in reporting or is there a difference? Near me things don't seem to get that bad. Not like the fuel shortages with the haulage strikes a good few years back when nowhere had fuel except for essential services.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just read that nw England is one of the worst hit areas. Doesn't seem that bad to me up here. I wonder if it's a built up/populous area issue where the density of population spreads panic quicker and more seriously?

No idea just a thought I had after seeing most of the news about shortages, panic buying and hoarding seems to be populous areas. Bias in reporting or is there a difference? Near me things don't seem to get that bad. Not like the fuel shortages with the haulage strikes a good few years back when nowhere had fuel except for essential services.
Apparently London has the highest population density to petrol stations which doesn't help when everyone is panic buying... :/

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I’ve had no issues here in Dewsbury, visited the same Asda Fuel station 3 times, on one day they had limited the fuel to £30, but yesterday it was back to £99.
But driving to Bradford drive past several Petrol stations with no queries and then cam across one where they were queueing on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Heard an interesting conspiracy theory that all the petrol stored but not consumed last year is going to 'go off' soon so they thought they'd invent a crisis to get it all consumed before then.... :D Tinfoil on! ;)

Just whacked in £70 of unleaded, no queues or anything up here. Down in Liverpool for the weekend, one garage was totally out the other had everything... Little Chainsaw is down in Newbury and reports it's hellish, no petrol to be found near him so he's WFH and sitting it out.

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
Heard an interesting conspiracy theory that all the petrol stored but not consumed last year is going to 'go off' soon so they thought they'd invent a crisis to get it all consumed before then.... :D Tinfoil on! ;)
Hmmmm.
Many whack job conspiracy theories from the last few years have turned out to be spoiler alerts.
just saying like.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I don't know what the queues are like round here as I've not been out in the car for the week. /smug. :cool:

The anoying thing with that is when you try any live without a car somewhere where society (i.e. the local council) cannot comprehend you not having a car.

Even our local 'green' councilours expect people to drive, even when they've proclaimed a totally meaningless 'climate emergency'.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Been to 16 petrol stations today. Finally found fuel at a Sainsbury’s and am
Now sitting in the queue.
Need it for work in case anyone asks, and no I am not filling up coke bottles or anything stupid like that.

i have 1/8th of a tank so filling up like normal!

• Wow
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Been to 16 petrol stations today. Finally found fuel at a Sainsbury’s and am
Now sitting in the queue.
Need it for work in case anyone asks, and no I am not filling up coke bottles or anything stupid like that.

i have 1/8th of a tank so filling up like normal!

Ouch.

( No shortage of Petrol however. Just a shortage of Drivers. - Irony )

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Tongue in cheek, I thought we were all supposed to be Bushcrafters. Did Oetzi need a tank full of diesel to cross the alps? Did Daniel Boone? Did Robert Louis Stevenson did Daniel Boone, but where can I find a half decent donkey these days?

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
It's kinda shabby round here. The built up areas are hit hard, there was a popular shell station that was closed with a tanker on the forecourt refilling it and maybe 20 cars were queueing waiting for it to reopen, whilst blocking up a major road. Right pain! Most of the stations just outside of built up areas have ran dry too. Oddly as soon as you get out of the BD postcode into LS there's fuel a plenty...

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I don't know what the queues are like round here as I've not been out in the car for the week. /smug. :cool:

The anoying thing with that is when you try any live without a car somewhere where society (i.e. the local council) cannot comprehend you not having a car.

Even our local 'green' councilours expect people to drive, even when they've proclaimed a totally meaningless 'climate emergency'.
I'm not saying it's an easy thing for everyone just that it'll come to a time when people will have to think hard about it I reckon. Better to find a way early IMHO.

We moved further away from work which forced public transport on us. Only 11 minutes further along the same train line as our old house was close to. Now we live 1 minute from the station instead of 5 to 10 minutes. We have the same line but the train is now cheaper than the car or van to commute with.

It's not just weekday commute but the whole change in lifestyle. Being in a place we liked to visit before moving here means we've had less need to go out to somewhere else. We leave n the car behind and walk from the house. Food deliveries too. It's a whole life change.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just heard that paramedic drivers and fire engine drivers* have been sent letters asking them if they want to use become delivery and HGV drivers.

Not much longterm thinking going on there then eh? Lets just move the shortage over to where it does the most damage. Sheesh.

"
A paramedic was stunned to receive a letter from the Department for Transport offering him a job as an HGV driver with an ‘attractive’ salary – which he says will tempt people away from the life-saving profession.

The medic received the letter on Monday asking him if he is interested in helping with the national shortage of truck drivers.

To drive an ambulance you need a C1 licence – which is the same licence needed to drive a HGV up to 7.5 tonnes.

The Government say the letter was sent to over a million people with HGV driving licences.

They say it was aimed at people who now worked in other sectors to entice them back – and not designed to tempt people away from vital work.

But the paramedic, who wished to remain anonymous, said: ”I was pretty taken aback – it was like they were trying to ask me to switch to a better paid job.

”Being a paramedic is a very difficult and I can see some people being tempted which would be very bad news to our industry.”

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'm not saying it's an easy thing for everyone just that it'll come to a time when people will have to think hard about it I reckon. Better to find a way early IMHO.
I made the change over 15 years ago. However, in that time, I would say things have go worse, with more reliance on government and everything being available just in time.

I'm not sure who's to blame but most people don't seem to want to be even remotely reliant and government wants people to be more heavily reliant on them.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
No petrol shortages here but we are tickling the 1.70 € a liter. When it reaches 2€ which won't be long, you can be sure there'll be street protests.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE