Pesky Wasps!

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
anyone know of a natrual wasp repellent?

i know of a few mozzie repellents but they don't seem to work on wasps.

other than keeping away from all fruit as a food source wasps will always be nearby, i'm not allergic though it would be usefull to myself and others to know a bushcraft wasp repeller!

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
moss smoke bomb, bee's + wasps are the only real danger we face in britian and unless prepared there isnt much that i know of we can do about them, Make a big fire and smoke them out to calm them down and if you get stung make sure you take a bit of honey (if they make it) in exchange for the sting its only fair

be careful though apparently a big nest can have up to 20,000 wasps in it so dont **** them off if you dont know what your doing, - http://www.localhoney.co.uk/aboutbeespages/wasps.htm

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I think I overheard a conversation when I was at a cider farm once about burning coal tar soap to get rid of the wasps around the presses...its vague though. Perhaps citronella would work, not sure.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
I suspect noxious smoke would repel them since insect breathe through pores of their bodies. I wonder if something like capiscan from chili peppers would work?

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Not a repellant as such, more way to keep them away from you.

Take a 2 litre plastic bottle, cut off the top and invert it into the bottom like a funnel. Take a can of cheap beer, optionally add some sugar or fruit juice, and fill the bottle. stand it near where you are. Any wasps that are attracted by your presence will smell the beer fumes and fly in to have a look, and end up drowning in beer (not a bad way to go!).

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
If there is an obvious presence of wasps I have set up a beer/cider trap about 10 meters out of camp and that seems to work.

At least they die happy :)

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Not really an answer for you but i find if I ignore them they never bother me, even when everyone else is being bugged. If they settle on me I leave them to it and they are off within seconds. I have never been stung by wasp or bee, the odd mozzy is another story though!

Best wishes
kris

Spindrift

Feb 25, 2007
Highlands Scotland
Have to say I agree with Greenman. Leave them alone and they wont bother you.
I have had them nesting in our garden and it was fascinating watching them flying into the gap in the soil and coming out again with a small ball of soil held in their legs. It was like Heathrow with a constant stream of wasps entering and leaving the nest. I could sit with my face literally inches from the entrance watching them and they were totally unconcerned. I wouldn't have done anything to upset them that was for sure. A friend of mine was very badly stung by a swarm when he unknowingly dug into a wasps nest in his garden. It pays to be observant and keep an eye on the little wildlife as well as the bigger stuff!!
I don't know of any repellent that will actively discourage them - I suspect that keeping any sweet foods (or beer) sealed until use is the best you can do especially late in the season when they have abonded their nests and are just wandering about getting drunk on rotten fruit. Like most drunks that is when they are at their most unpredictable.:yikes:
They play an important role in the scheme of things and we just need to learn to live and let live.
If you have an allergy obviously you have to take the risk of a sting very seriously indeed.

Cheers - Spindrift.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
The trouble with wasps comes around this time of year when the nests start to disband and they all go and get drunk on rotting and fermenting fruit.

They can't take their ale and get an attitude.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hmmm not sure what happened to my first reply - here it is again.....

Irrespective of how you get rid of the nest, there are some things to keep in mind:-
If there are wasp-grubs present, they make excellent fishing bait.
And don't ignore the tinder value of the empty nest either.

ATB

Ogri the trog

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I saw a wasp shaped insect the other day with a vicious looking sting and it was very aggressive, black and red in colour anyone any ideas what it could be I never managed to get a pic as i was going in the opposite direction at the time.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Not a repellant as such, more way to keep them away from you.

Take a 2 litre plastic bottle, cut off the top and invert it into the bottom like a funnel. Take a can of cheap beer, optionally add some sugar or fruit juice, and fill the bottle. stand it near where you are. Any wasps that are attracted by your presence will smell the beer fumes and fly in to have a look, and end up drowning in beer (not a bad way to go!).

Can you drink the booze afterwards, or will that get you branded as worse than a wino?!

:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE