Peru- Crime??

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Evening all,

I'm planning a trip to south America and had originally intended to include Peru. However everyone I have spoken to seems to have a horror story on the crime there! These range from pockets being slashed and wallets being stolen to being held up at gun point in the back of a taxi! Having done some online research it seems like they aren't the only ones- with "express kidnappings" and muggings being fairly common.

So has anyone been to Peru? if so what are your thoughts- good or bad? I was thinking Lima, La Paz and the various Inca trails but everyone I have spoken to said that it is overrated and that out of all the places they have been they would not go back to Peru.

Any thoughts/ experiences?

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
This is a tricky one, a good start is the FCO who surgest most visits are trouble free: http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/south-america/peru1 another option is to post on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forum to see if anyone has been more recently: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa

My friend visited both Bolivia And Peru last year and had no trouble but when I went to Bolivia someone (unsuccessfully) tried to Pickpocket me. Of the two countries the Bolivians are perhaps less friendly but it's worth remembering that many of them live in abject poverty. Bolivia is very poor but it has a rugged beauty especially out in the country. I'm not long back from Chile which was very safe and friendly so if your really concerned consider going there or perhaps Argentina? Both have good outdoor experience away from the crowds and the usual tourist haunts.

I personally wouldn't get too bothered about the crime, (I'd probably be more worried going to London) however applying some common sense might save you some trouble. A few tips I have picked up include:

Carrying two wallets, one real (hidden) and another to give a thief put in this one a couple of out of date cards and a small amount of cash
Don't take anything your not prepared to lose.
Use hidden deep pockets, money belts (not bum bags) and zipped pockets, Avoid putting your wallet in your back pocket
Avoid crowds and busy areas, try to travel with others
Be aware not a bumbling tourist
Try to avoid obvious displays of wealth although this can be difficult as certainly in the more indigenous areas you will stand out as a wealthy westerner regardless
IMO it's a bit over the top putting chicken wire in your rucksack but some do
If nothing else keep your passport safe and on your person

rg598

Native
It all depends on where in the city you go. There are very nice areas that are relatively safe (as safe as any other South American country), while there are other areas where even the police doesn't go. Tourists usually get in trouble when they want to experience the "authentic local culture", which leads them into areas where they shouldn't be. The main tourist attractions and areas are relatively safe.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Evening all,

I'm planning a trip to south America and had originally intended to include Peru. However everyone I have spoken to seems to have a horror story on the crime there! These range from pockets being slashed and wallets being stolen to being held up at gun point in the back of a taxi! Having done some online research it seems like they aren't the only ones- with "express kidnappings" and muggings being fairly common.

So has anyone been to Peru? if so what are your thoughts- good or bad? I was thinking Lima, La Paz and the various Inca trails but everyone I have spoken to said that it is overrated and that out of all the places they have been they would not go back to Peru.

Any thoughts/ experiences?

I have not traveled in Peru, however I have been to some places where crime was thought to be a problem for travellers. Limaed's advice to not take anything that you are not prepared to lose is perhaps the best bit of advice for any traveler. If you travel with lots of gucci gear and try to stay in the 'safe; areas to make sure no one nicks your stuff then you might as well stay home and get a subscription to National Geographic. Get out there, get off the beaten track, be able to say at least ten useful things in the local language and smile even if you are being given a hard time.

The two wallet idea is quite a good one.

Travel light, almost everything you might need, you can pick up locally.

Have fun.

:)

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
I did a sponsored trek in Peru a couple of years ago and I've wanted to back ever since :) The only trouble I had there was with a group of kids one night, but luckily our groups doctor came to the rescue! If you go on an organised trek with a decent guide you shouldn't have any problems.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been robbed at knife point in Tenerife, been with a friend who had her handbag nicked in Barcelona and I've had my wallet and passport nicked in Amsterdam.

Pretty much every country has it's problems, stay sensible and watch your back

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thanks for the replies everyone. Of course everywhere has its problems. Just seems like I have heard more than the usual for Peru! I have travelled a lot over the years-including Libya before the troubles (beautiful country- shame about what has happened). Thanks for the advice and I will continue to consider it!

kizzer35

Forager
Dec 22, 2007
Devon
I had a great time in Peru with no problems. Instead of the Inca trail I hiked around a mountain called Ausangate. Did so with a local guide, just me, him, and his nephew. 5 day hike which cost about US 150 dollars. Was fantastic. All I needed was my own sleeping bag and clothes.

With taxis, try and get into one which you see somebody else getting out of, preferably clothed and with their belongings! If you don't like the look of the driver just wave them on and wait for the next one.

Beware of subterfuge. I spent 4 years in South America and heard some great stories. One friend was walking down the street when a scooter came past and the passenger threw a bag of puke over her. 20 seconds later a bunch of grannies with tissues started helping to wipe it off. Nice, except they were also helping themselves to the contents of her bag and pockets. The moral of the story: keep your wits about you. If the area looks bad, don't go in it. If the man looks dodgy, don't stop to talk and so on. Most bad stories start with a poor decision and these often come from not wishing to cause offence. I recommend the keep moving option. At the same time keep it all in context. Yes, I have heard some grim stories but they are not the norm.

Get out there and have fun. If you are going to get wasted, take extra care.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
A long time ago my wife spent three months working in a bookshop in Lima. She had no problems, shopped in the markets and enjoyed it a lot. Even longer ago her parents left her and her two sisters in the care of a couple of bushmen they met on the road in Ethiopia while they went shopping. No problems.

She spent a few months working in Amsterdam at the turn of this century and somebody tried to murder her when she went for a walk in the park. He was unsuccessful -- I met my wife at our judo club.

My wife's mother always lines her handbag with chicken wire because she goes to a lot of lawless places. One day she left the bag on the front seat of their car, in a car park at the seaside near Perpignan, and went to get an ice cream or something with her husband. When they got back the handbag (and the side window) had gone. It took them days to get new passports.

Things can happen more or less anywhere. As Rich (Shewie) says, keep your eyes open and don't do anything daft and you'll probably be OK.

Willowisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2013
Reutlingen, Germany
I've been to Peru and Bolivia in 2010. I did not encounter any crime problems there. Simply behave as you would in any third world country. Don't show off your wealth, be friendly (but don't trust everybody, either) and keep your eyes open to what happens around you. Then you'll be fine. However, be prepared to be ripped of when doing business wherever you go. Bolivia is poorer than Peru, but imho Bolivia has more beautiful landscape to offer, as long as you don't aim for the jungle. So I would go to Bolivia.
If you want to feel extra safe, then go to Chile. That country is stunningly beautiful and diverse and offers a security level just like northern Europe (including all non-corrupt policemen, pretty rare in Latin America!). Also the general living standards are higher than Peru or Bolivia. Argentia is also a fairly safe alternative (but not as much as Chile).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE