Personal Locator Beacons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Has anyone here gained any real-life practical experience of using Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs) and/or satellite messengers? Sailing or mountaineering?

I know there are a few different devices available - looked at McMurdo, SPOT, etc.

My understanding is that a PLB would rely on a local 'background' network to effect the rescue once the user had triggered the device.

For example, it would work well in the UK, US or Alps where there is a dedicated network of maritime/land/air search and rescue organisations. May also work well on Kilimanjaro (?) but may be a bit lacking in other areas?

Anyone been somewhere off the beaten track and used one?

One of my colleagues (who used a McMurdo once) prefers mobile phones or satellite phones for both UK and overseas and doesn't want to go down the PLB route again because he can't see it being effective; i.e. he thinks there is no point in a group or a leader being able to 'press the button' if nobody will respond to the call and go pick them up.

Personally, I can see the PLB being an extra layer of safety which may be an improvement on giving each member of the group a whistle and chemlight. Am I being a bit optimistic?!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I use a Spot in the wilds of Lancashire, never used it in anger though! The ability to check the device, track and send custom messages is a bonus over the eperb.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Use EPIRB on my boats but luckily i've never had to use one yet.

My understanding of PLB's is that when you press the button the message goes to a message centre, the message centre then contact the authorities closest to your location, so they can effect a rescue.

I know in Greece that there are very few areas where they have a organised SaR system in place, chances are the call will get funnelled down to the fire service.
So by the time they find you it's likely to be a long long time, so i pack accordingly.

For the UK we have a fantastic SaR system in place, so it would be a LOT quicker.

On Kilimanjaro i have absolutely no idea who would affect a rescue or how quick they would be.

The other thing with PLB's is that i've read reports that in mountainousness areas the signal can be a bit hit and miss, over on the backpackinglight forum there have been reports of uses sending SMS messages to tell family members they're ok not going out, there is also a delay on some others.
A lot of that is to do with how you are positioned in relation to the satellite that's receiving your signal, it's unlikely we'd have as much a problem in Europe.

Plus what are the alternatives, it's not like you can get a phone signal in many hiking areas in the UK, never mind Europe.

I think that it's always wise to leave a route and time table of your expected locations with a trusted friend or family member then report in as and when you can.
Hiking with 2 or more persons is safer as one can go for help while another stays with the party requiring help.

If you are concerned and have the money then i'd say a PLB would be a good choice even with it's limitations.

It's also worth reading up on the devices and services as some allow you a certain amount of free SMS messages each year, which is handing for reporting in each day.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Ranger service on Kili, one of the local guides would call them on his mobile phone... :)

Rendering $00's of our tech gear somewhat redundant...? :)

My satellite phone can send SMS and is dual GSM/satellite and GPS enabled, which I would use to call in directly to the rescue provider (under a private arrangement, paid by insurance).

So I can see my colleagues point - a PLB would add very little value, but potentially adds a weak link to the chain.

What I want to do is provide 12 PLBs to an expedition in order to provide a higher margin of safety.

What I don't want to do is make them carry something of little value or something that does not work so gives false assurance.

I just wondered if anyone had any experiences - good or bad.

Last edited:

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
3000+ successful rescues quoted on the Spot website, though I guess we'll never know how many failed messages there have been!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The point behind carrying something like a PLB, is that if works when you have no phone signal. Think that's rare in the UK? well the Prime Minister came home from Cornwall due to poor phone signal... Here in Kent there are bits with no signal. Get up into the dales, or the lakes, and you have no chance. So in this respect, being able to press button receive help is good.

If you are already carrying a sat phone and a gps, the utility is somewhat reduced. But then many of us don't carry a sat phone, making the PLB a good budget solution. With a PLB you only need to be with it enough to press the help button (usually something like a slide and press, or press two things at the same time and hold for a a count of x to prevent accidental activation), to get help. Useful when you are alone in the wilderness. Fall down the mountain, press button, receive help. If you are in a group, having one per person can be over kill. Depends on the expedition, the chances of separation etc...

So, as in all of bushcraft: "It depends"

Julia

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I can vouch for SPOT (as long as you have the subscription) as a real goods means of sending a balloon up and a spud means of getting messages out. Sat phones are getting smaller, and again, are also pretty good as long as you are using the right one for the world region you're operating out of. The downside as any electronic ancillaries is either charging or battery carriage

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
I know of a case in south Wales where a DofE group used one. A few years ago a group was in the Beacons and got in to trouble and missed their check in. Their teachers called MRescue. No phone signal so no contact with the group. The team was winding up for a full on search when the teacher handed over their coordinates as supplied by the SPOT service.

Within minutes (after the Lat/Lon was converted to BNG) the RAF Sea King was enroute. Three or four hours of foot slogging with casualties stuck on the hill turned in to a 20 minute trip for the heli.

There area many areas of the UK where there is poor phone coverage where you can get in to trouble. While a PLB and subscription may be overkill for most people I would recommend one for anyone who spends a lot of time in the wilds and has the cash to spare.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE