Pennywort (i think) - edible? Inedible lookalikes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've been hitching around Ireland for the past week (back in Blighty now) and saw lots of a plant I've seen before and I'm sure is edible,

I think it is pennywort... it was growing in the cracks between the stones in a derelict church in Co. Clare just a short way from the Cliffs of Moher.

Assuming it is pennywort, is it safe to eat?
Is there was anything it can be confused with that isn't?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I do not know if there are any poisonous lookalikes in Ireland, but Wall Pennywort/Navelwort is a delicious treat in salads, tasteing very much like mangetout peas - crisp and sweet!
Love it!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wall pennywort and Jack by the hadge wrapped in a couple of fresh new beech leaves makes a great trail nibble - pick it as you walk, eat it as you walk....

Any lookalikes outside Ireland, John?
Particularly in England and on the continent (I spend a bit of time in France and occasionally Switzerland).

I had a munch on a leaf to see how it tasted (reminded me somewhat of lettuce in flavour with a bit more flavour to it) but though I liked it a lot, I spat it out to be on the safe side. I was almost convinced it was good to eat but decided to err on the side of caution anyway. Not that I expect a single leaf of most things would cause too much bother.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
The only 'lookalike' I can think of is Marsh pennywort which grows (amazingly enough) in marshy, damp/wet places. I'm not sure if Marsh pennywort is also edible but there is a danger of liver fluke that also likes the same damp areas, so maybe best to avoid it. Marsh pennywort grows throughout Britain whereas Wall pennywort/Navelwort grows mainly in Western Britain in Cornwall/Devon/ and western Wales and western Scotland.
There's loads of it down the lanes on Dartmoor and I've also seen it on sea facing cliffs when I've been fishing, so it must be tolerant of the the sea air. The flower spikes look a bit like foxglove stems but are light green rather than purple so there shouldn't be a danger of confusing the 2. As with all edible leaves it's probably best to give them a rinse in fresh water first though.
I've only ever munched a few whilst out walking, but they'd go well in a cheese sandwich or a salad I expect. I'll give that a go next time.

Jumbalaya

Tenderfoot
Assuming it is pennywort, is it safe to eat?
Is there was anything it can be confused with that isn't?

If it's the straight 'Navelwort' [Umbilicus rupestris] then that's edible, although it is diuretic too. The Marsh Pennywort is one that you should possibly (I say possibly since there is no 'hard' evidence in humans) leave alone as there are problems with it in relation to livestock.

Best
Marcus

haypxx

Apr 14, 2011
devon
My wife was very reluctant to try wild foods until I pointed out most of them are Diuretic, now she's all for them. I wonder why

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE