Pendulous Sedge - cordage?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have some Pendelous Sedge in the garden and up in my woods and while I have heard that Sedges are good for cordage I have no idea when they are best harvested and the best way to prepare them for twirling into cord...
Any ideas anyone?

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I’ve not seen Pendelous Sedge before, but I’ve used some other sedges before. I’d try a few approaches:
- Try and cut a few of the flower stems (green). You may be able to lightly crush these between a couple of rocks or logs and produce some fibres
- The strap leaves – try and peel one. Start at the leaf base and see if either the back or front (of the broad edge) will peel and release fibres (a bit like celery strings)
- Soak the leaves in water for a few days, or dry and then soak, and try and use the entire leaf as a broad fibre

A reasonable test for the suitability of such plants is to just pick a few leaves and stems and try and break them apart by hand; if they break easily then probably won’t make very strong cordage, but sometimes you don’t need strong.

I’m sure someone will have tried these sedges before and can advise you better, but good luck and do keep us informed

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
can you make fair cordage from celery?

Can't say I've tried, but I have eaten a few tough stalks in my time ! No reason why not, I guess, esp if you get some old stalks.

In Arnhemland (Australia), there are some palm type trees (can't recall the name off-hand), and the locals peel the fibers out of the freshly picked leaf fronds, then twist the fibres into strong twine
and colour them by boiling with various roots and barks.

I've done it myself with some success, but the local ladies make it look very easy and quick. As expected they have a big ball of lovely twine and I have a raged little pices of string ...

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Cycads? or Screwpine?

Ok you made me look it up, it was Pandanus (screwpine aka "gunga").

I found this article which probably describes the process a little better than I did:

In the afternoon, back at the weaving camp, all the gunga was processed. The spine and the prickles were stripped off by inserting the right thumbnail through the leaf and slicing through to the end and this material was then tied and discarded to distinguish it from leaves waiting for further processing. The leaves to be used were then split in half by bending them over at the tip, firmly pressing thumb and index finger together and gently sliding them so that the leaves separated. Then taking a leaf section in each hand they were gently but firmly divided, laid out to dry, then bundled and hung up out of the dust.

Full atricle : http://www.arnhemweavers.com.au/tours-2005.htm (FYI - no affiliation to this group, or any other)

I've been on a few bushcraft and bush tucker "tours" and I'd highy recommend one if you get a chance. The locals (on these tours) have always been very friendly and very proud to share with people who are willing to have a go. (Of course there are some others who do their communities no service at all, but I'll say no more about them).

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Across the Top End (Kimberly, Kakadu, Arnhemland, Cape York and even in the Centre), there are some great "tours". Unfortunately you generally need to pay, unless you know someone, but it is money will spent.

Its also worth keeping an eye out for community Open Days, or public cultural events which run occasionally. I'm not sure if or how they are advertised, but we've been lucky to stumble on one.

We've done the croc boat too, I guess I'd call it a once in a lifetime experiance - I've done it once and it was good, but I don't need to do it again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE