Pencil sharpener/tool geeks/tinder maker!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh that's good ozzy - I like that

I must apologise to the OP for the total thread hijack :eek:

Perhaps we need a "tool geekery" thread on its own to discus the joy of vintage tools

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
excellent tip with citric acid - what concentration? I'll keep my eye out for spoon bits !

Because its cheap I tend to over egg the pudding and throw in about ounce for every pint of boiling water you need to cover the tools and leave it for anything up to 4 hours. It gets into any pits and any black staining to the metal comes off on the wire wheel. A corked piece of plastic tube is a efficient soaking tank for any long thin tools I've found, it also stays hotter longer compared to my other option, a Tupperware box propped up on one side at 45 degrees.

Just doing the final filter of the ink gall ink, will label and seal for a couple of months.

I have a tin of old Chemico grinding paste somewhere so will have a go at that Ozzy.

Yes sorry for going off on a tangent, me bad.

ATB

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Awesome thanks Tom - going to put the pine in the post later - sorry its been so long - not been able to get about

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! The strips of Maya wood I tried smoked a lot and repeatedly went out if angled up at 45". Flatter and the flame spread along them too much.

Just looking at my hands and all the tiny cracks are stained black and nothing so far has had any effect cleaning them. Oh well time for the sand paper, again. I will have to learn to wear gloves.

ATB

Tom

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Oh that's good ozzy - I like that

I must apologise to the OP for the total thread hijack :eek:

Perhaps we need a "tool geekery" thread on its own to discus the joy of vintage tools

No bother chaps. 44 posts from a pencil sharpener. I thought this was going Gold shortly after I posted it.

Best wishes.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Well now: I ordered my sharpener late in the evening the day before yesterday after reading this thread, and when I got home this afternoon it was there on the mat. Now that's very good service for a sub-tenner
purchase, but in the envelope was a hand-written card with a very pleasant message and a landline plus mobile contact details in case there was anything amiss! Now how's that for good service and a thoroughly nice guy?

You'd think anybody touting for your business would be so keen to please, but we know differently, eh? How very refreshing, says I!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Well now: I ordered my sharpener late in the evening the day before yesterday after reading this thread, and when I got home this afternoon it was there on the mat. Now that's very good service for a sub-tenner
purchase, but in the envelope was a hand-written card with a very pleasant message and a landline plus mobile contact details in case there was anything amiss! Now how's that for good service and a thoroughly nice guy?

You'd think anybody touting for your business would be so keen to please, but we know differently, eh? How very refreshing, says I!

Exactly the same for me :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE