Penan Parang

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
During one of my recent trips to Malaysia i had the good fortune to be the recipiant of a very generous gift from Ash (BOD) of a Penan Tribe Parang.
The deign of the Parang is very differnet to that of the westernised interpretations that most of us are more commonly aquainted with. The Parang is made up of two knives ( pu-eh and dahah) housed in a wood and rattan sheath. The large blade is forged with a concave gride on one side and convex on the other. The concave side faces towards the body when held in the prefered hand. A left handed blade will not function as it should for a right hand user and vice a versa. The blade is made this way to promote bite and cutting action through green vegetation and as such care must be taken that it is used on the opersite side of a tree to which you are standing. The smaller blade is flat on one side convex on the other and razor sharp. The long handle and choil enable the forarm to brace it and provide a high level of power and control. Just cant wait to get back out there and put it back to use.
IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have seen these in the flesh (as it were) and they are truely impressive - I did not get to use them though but think will will have no trouble hacking through the jungle and making fine carvings with them!
Much nicer tools than my Thai jungle knife!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE