pen y fan??

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
just wondering if anyones been up the fan this week and what the conditions are like? planning a excursion either wednesday or thursday so would like to know what im letting myself in for first :)

andy

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Not quite the same area but the forecast for Snowdonia seems to be remaining cold but clear, the synoptic charts paint the same picture for the rest of Wales: http://www.mwis.org.uk/rfulpi/SD.PDF

I think I would be prepared for good winter conditions, i.e full winter kit including axe crampons and decent boots. Might be worth packing some sunglasses too. Have a good day.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Snowdonia = North Wales

Pen Y Fan = South Wales Brecon Beacons, very different areas.

Snow there now, windy and cold. Don't go if your not experienced, if you are take plenty of normal winter hill walking kit and don't walk it alone. Always let people know your route and timings and without a doubt take waterproof top and bottoms.

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Hi Andy,

Was there at the weekend. It was a hard slog but good, quite crunchy in places, and slippy in others, didn't have crapons but definately would of been helpful, glad of my poles though as otherwise would have been on my **** a few times on decent. Make sue you have your bearings right at the top, whited out and stuck with compass to get me down. Stunning when clear, take shades, and sun cream if sunny : ) Take something warm if your stopping on top or near for a brew.

Enjoy

Rich

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Has been very windy, so at the top of Pen y Fan I would expect serious wind chill. I would treat it as a serious winter mountain walk, and dress & equip accordingly. As has been said, if you are not experienced in these conditions, then do something else for the day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE